Fwd stopped working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strongheart2012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was out driving down a back road in 4wd and ended up blowing a rear drive shaft u-joint. Removed the shaft to limp it back home and the front wheels wouldn't move, but I can still move the 4wd shifter. The tranny still spins when I put it in gear. I have no ideas on this one! Looking for some ideas to solve my problem!

95 Chevy Tahoe Ls 4x4 w/ 6in lift and 35s

OP
OP
Strongheart2012

Strongheart2012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was out driving down a back road in 4wd and ended up blowing a rear drive shaft u-joint. Removed the shaft to limp it back home and the front wheels wouldnt move but I can still move the 4wd shifter. The tranny still spins when I put it in gear. I have no ideas on this one! Looking for some ideas to solve my problem!

95 Chevy Tahoe Ls 4x4 w/ 6in lift and 35s

Rob Scariano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was out driving down a back road in 4wd and ended up blowing a rear drive shaft u-joint. Removed the shaft to limp it back home and the front wheels wouldnt move but I can still move the 4wd shifter. The tranny still spins when I put it in gear. I have no ideas on this one! Looking for some ideas to solve my problem!

95 Chevy Tahoe Ls 4x4 w/ 6in lift and 35s[/QUOTE
If the front axle lock will not engage then it can not drive the front end either.

Would it engage at all with the rear driveshaft removed. I've never tried that but I haven't heard of any reason why it wouldn't. The transfer case would probably leak without the slip yoke installed tho.

Maybe the transfer case took a dump!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the case has no diffy in it so it could drive the front with rear removed but yest it will leak. see when in 4wd that the front shaft spins as well at the same rate as rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove