SERVICE 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pepper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe with “4WD SERVICE “ message just came on after replacing the fuel line from pump to steel line that goes to injectors. Had to drive into my car ramps in garage to get better clearance.The only thing I did to the power train was unbolted the driveshaft and swung it over so I could get my head above the tank (loosened both tank straps) to unhook the fuel line and replace with new line .Now I will say that when I took U-bolts out at yolk I had to use a plybar to separate the universal joint.Wasn’t much pressure but once it was out of yolk the shaft moved easily in and out of housing but I never removed it from its splines. After finishing up my fuel line replacement I set the U-joint back in place,just like it came out.Had to tap the joint just a little to go back in the yolk but nothing that hard.Just a tap here and there and finished getting the U joint seated by tightening the 4 bolts to draw it into place.Could I have accidentally cause something to make that MESSAGE appear on my dash.Is there any wires I could have pulled?
I wasn’t even around the transfer case.Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be simple coincidence. The transfer case doesn't switch at all?

Have you checked the fuses and the grounds?

OP
OP
P

Pepper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it does transfer,and no I’ve not checked the fuses.According to owners manual it says when u get this display take it to your local dealer. Not happening.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Check the plug on the transfer case shift motor. You were working near there and may have disturbed it.

It’s hard to diagnose this without a scan tool to read the code that is causing the service message.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The encoder motor has a short pigtail with the connector that mates with the body harness. When they're mated they should be clipped above the driveshaft on a bracket.

Like @George B noted, you can inspect that connector for pin fitment and making a solid connection. Also find a scan tool that will read the 4wd codes and you'll be much closer to a solution. Attempting to diagnose without that info is doing it blind.

OP
OP
P

Pepper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
now the traction control light came on and g to here’s no lights j ok n the switch on the console switch

OP
OP
P

Pepper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it’s like it does it sporadic.Yesterday driving it it in the rain stabilized disengaged message with the TC light on.
Going to pull into garage and look at the pin fitment as mentioned

OP
OP
P

Pepper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just noticed when I bolted my shaft back my marks are 1/2 rotation off.My marks are still there and it’s 180 degrees off.
Hopefully that will fix it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're talking about the front propshaft u-joint it won't make a difference to the electronics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts