Fuel line repair kit/tool recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son and I are replacing the fuel pump on his 2016 Silverado.
What are you fellas using to repair nylon fuel lines?
We have a couple of 5/16” fittings to replace.
I’d like to purchase the tools and parts to make repairs to these types of fuel lines in the future.
I typically only repair steel lines…until today lol.

Thanks for your input in advance.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to purchase the tools and parts to make repairs to these types of fuel lines in the future.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can buy the nylon line in bulk. The fittings, such as what @89Suburban has in his first link, press in. There are tools to press the fittings into the lines, such as this one. I converted to a Blazer fuel tank in my S10 and made my own nylon lines. I only needed to make up a few connections so I didn't invest in the tool kit. I used brute strength and tools I had on hand to press the fittings into the hoses. This was about 10 years ago and, per feedback from the current owner, there has never been a problem. But, if you'd like to not fight it and be prepared for future repairs, invest in the tool. Depending on what all you need to do, there are adapters such as this available. You might want a simple union, such as this, but I'd look for one made of stainless steel.

*EDIT* Here's one made of stainless, but the size description is odd.

If you need to replace the end fitting and the line is too short after cutting off the bad one, you could use that double male splice to add some new hose with a new fitting pressed into the end.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both of these fittings work for the same application?

What differences, if any, apply to installation?

View attachment 420100

View attachment 420101

Both are PTC (push-to-connect). The top one is the traditional one found on fuel lines and requires a tool to release the locks. The bottom one you just push the large white part in to release the locks. I'd assume the top one is more secure than the other and that's why it's used on wet fuel whereas the other is used on the lesser critical vapor/EVAP portions.

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are PTC (push-to-connect). The top one is the traditional one found on fuel lines and requires a tool to release the locks. The bottom one you just push the large white part in to release the locks. I'd assume the top one is more secure than the other and that's why it's used on wet fuel whereas the other is used on the lesser critical vapor/EVAP portions.
I’m finding that the style on top is more readily available locally than the bottom style.

Are clamps necessary for the barbed end on either of them? There are no clamps installed currently on the fittings I see on the truck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m finding that the style on top is more readily available locally than the bottom style.

Are clamps necessary for the barbed end on either of them? There are no clamps installed currently on the fittings I see on the truck.

No clamps. If the press fit isn't secure enough, it's a botched connection and should be redone. These connections have been OE and reliable for decades and millions of miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan