Fuel gauge going to empty.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge has been acting funny. No matter how much gas I have left in the tank, the needle will randomly shoot all the way to empty and the DIC screen will show "--- MILES" instead of say "247 MILES"...then about a minute later it will go back to the correct reading.

I've read that it may be the sender unit...is that what you guys think?

mike1944

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge has been acting funny. No matter how much gas I have left in the tank, the needle will randomly shoot all the way to empty and the DIC screen will show "--- MILES" instead of say "247 MILES"...then about a minute later it will go back to the correct reading.

I've read that it may be the sender unit...is that what you guys think?

I'm new to this forum and SUV's. But, have owned a Vette for several years. I spend a lot of time on corvetteforum.com. Some of the older Vette's had/have a lot of trouble with their send units. Same symptoms as yours.

General consensus is that it is a sulphur problem. They believe that using Chevron with Techron helps loosen it up and will often fix the problem. Don't know if it would help you but .....maybe worth a try.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I will see if that fixes it. I'd hate to spent $200 on a new sender unit if this fixes it.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah now that I think about it, I might have to do that. I realized we don't have any Chevron's nearby that I know of. How much did your unit cost?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925