From Silverado to Tahoe!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Charles Tindall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It had a lot of miles, it goes through the mud & could have caught a branch & torn something.... there were just a lot of factors in that wreck. I baby that truck & took care of it. I was the only owner & driver of it. Planned on keeping it till I die.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
One lady was putting items in her car at Dollar General, looked up & saw me riding on 3 wheels with the other rolling right beside me. I hit the ditch, flipped numerous times in the air, breaking the top of my shortwave antenna. Then landed on a security fence & broke it. I never heard the wheel pop off. It landed right by my wheel well where it belonged. I had forgot to gas my truck up when I left town from getting my tree stand & heater. I wheeled back around & got in a hurry cause I wanted to make it home for the Super Bowl, 2hrs away. I just replaced the hub last year. Rotated my tires the Friday before & shook them... no movement. It scared me bad enough that I went to 2WD just to have less parts to break. Funny thing.... my tree stand & propane tank & heater remained in my bed through all of that. It bent & twisted my frame, blew out all of my new Bilstein shocks, and blew 2 tires.View attachment 223998View attachment 223999 View attachment 224000View attachment 224001

Whoa. How does that even happen?

Glad you're ok, and the new rig looks awesome!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One lady was putting items in her car at Dollar General, looked up & saw me riding on 3 wheels with the other rolling right beside me. I hit the ditch, flipped numerous times in the air, breaking the top of my shortwave antenna. Then landed on a security fence & broke it. I never heard the wheel pop off. It landed right by my wheel well where it belonged. I had forgot to gas my truck up when I left town from getting my tree stand & heater. I wheeled back around & got in a hurry cause I wanted to make it home for the Super Bowl, 2hrs away. I just replaced the hub last year. Rotated my tires the Friday before & shook them... no movement. It scared me bad enough that I went to 2WD just to have less parts to break. Funny thing.... my tree stand & propane tank & heater remained in my bed through all of that. It bent & twisted my frame, blew out all of my new Bilstein shocks, and blew 2 tires.View attachment 223998View attachment 223999 View attachment 224000View attachment 224001
What brand hub did you put in because I wanna be sure I don’t buy one. I always use Timken so I hope it wasn’t one of theirs, I’ve never heard of a problem with them.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
What brand hub did you put in because I wanna be sure I don’t buy one. I always use Timken so I hope it wasn’t one of theirs, I’ve never heard of a problem with them.
Second that! I think previous owner replaced the hubs on my Tahoe but I was planning on using Timken hubs if I ever need to replace them again.

Pretty much whatever wasn't the one he used! Looks like it came right off in two :(

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The hub and all is still there. The outer cup of the CV axle is still there:

26ef5aad-8a1f-4f79-86c2-5a407c2b9acc-jpeg.224001

Looks to me like a ball joint let go. This would let the wheel collide with the control arm (and hard, with such big tires), which explains the wheel's lip being obviously violently peeled off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hub and all is still there. The outer cup of the CV axle is still there:

26ef5aad-8a1f-4f79-86c2-5a407c2b9acc-jpeg.224001

Looks to me like a ball joint let go. This would let the wheel collide with the control arm (and hard, with such big tires), which explains the wheel's lip being obviously violently peeled off.
wasn't the wheel hub, ball joint/s or control arm or maybe even a tie-rod broke and caused a castrophic situation and that forced the axle out of the hub, hub is still together less the axle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas