2017 Tahoe Sudden Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my wife a 2017 Tahoe about 4 years ago. It was just over the warranty limit on the garbage AC when I bought it (IDR if that was 75k or 80k miles). Other than the garbage AC it has been a great vehicle until today. It's our everyday vehicle for anything we do together as a family.

So the Tahoe was a rental before we had it. Hopefully it was taken care of, but who knows. Today she went to take her parents to the airport after visiting us. It's about a 4 hour drive one way to save 500+ on a short flight. So she went, dropped them off, then started back home.

She calls me and tells me the vehicle has reverse only, no drive. I tell her to try putting it in manual and trying the rest of the gears to see if anything grabs because it has no check engine light at the time. It goes forward in 3-6 for a few minutes, but then she calls me and says it won't go in any gear at all. Check engine light is solid now, showing P0700 and P 0796. I have her check the temp and the transmission is at 216. By this time she's parked on the side of the road and I tell her to turn it off and wait for me to come pick it up with a trailer. 90 minutes later, it starts up and drives itself up on the trailer in 4WD just to get off the interstate. 2 hours later, it starts up and functions like normal in the driveway. I checked the transmission fluid and it's full, but dark. Allergies are kililng me right now so I didn't even attempt to smell it. It wasn't horrible or even bad from what I could smell.

Previously it hasn't had any issues since we've owned it. I had the transmission go out in my 2011 Sierra and you could see it coming a few weeks in advance. No warning, no slipping here.

I'm going to go for a hail Mary and change out the fluild and filter tomorrow to see if I can get that little sliver or hope. Lost my job last week so I'm due for some good luck.

Any suggestions to check on it to verify what exactly the issue is?

Thanks

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely forward clutches are borderline toast. This is very common. Fluid changes help before the problem manifests itself. You could try and do the fluid change but my gut and experience is saying she needs a rebuild.

Good luck.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife a 2017 Tahoe about 4 years ago. It was just over the warranty limit on the garbage AC when I bought it (IDR if that was 75k or 80k miles). Other than the garbage AC it has been a great vehicle until today. It's our everyday vehicle for anything we do together as a family.

So the Tahoe was a rental before we had it. Hopefully it was taken care of, but who knows. Today she went to take her parents to the airport after visiting us. It's about a 4 hour drive one way to save 500+ on a short flight. So she went, dropped them off, then started back home.

She calls me and tells me the vehicle has reverse only, no drive. I tell her to try putting it in manual and trying the rest of the gears to see if anything grabs because it has no check engine light at the time. It goes forward in 3-6 for a few minutes, but then she calls me and says it won't go in any gear at all. Check engine light is solid now, showing P0700 and P 0796. I have her check the temp and the transmission is at 216. By this time she's parked on the side of the road and I tell her to turn it off and wait for me to come pick it up with a trailer. 90 minutes later, it starts up and drives itself up on the trailer in 4WD just to get off the interstate. 2 hours later, it starts up and functions like normal in the driveway. I checked the transmission fluid and it's full, but dark. Allergies are kililng me right now so I didn't even attempt to smell it. It wasn't horrible or even bad from what I could smell.

Previously it hasn't had any issues since we've owned it. I had the transmission go out in my 2011 Sierra and you could see it coming a few weeks in advance. No warning, no slipping here.

I'm going to go for a hail Mary and change out the fluild and filter tomorrow to see if I can get that little sliver or hope. Lost my job last week so I'm due for some good luck.

Any suggestions to check on it to verify what exactly the issue is?

Thanks
Could be

1. Stuck #1 check ball which likes to wear or
2. TEHCM shift solenoid #2 has failed, requiring TEHCM replacement

Both can be fixed w/trans in vehicle

1. Low sprag has rolled and failed
2. 1-2-3-4 clutch is burnt due to a cracked piston (likely given the smell of the fluid)

Both require the trans to come out for overhaul which is what your transmission likely needs.

Check out my 6L80 Info thread for input on rebuild profile, parts selection, etc (link is in my signature) - let me know if you have any addl questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Craddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies from everyone. We're moving across the country in a few weeks, pulling a trailer behind the Tahoe. Just went ahead and had it replaced to move along without worrying about stranding everyone mid trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts