Free travel mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGA Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing the free travel mod here very soon. The plasma seems to be the way to go. I called 3 shops and none of them had a plasma cutter. They all said that they could use a cutting torch instead. Anybody else have any experience using one of these? I was worried about the heat it creates and would I have to remove stuff for heat clearance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
If they know what they're doing it shouldnt be a problem. You can still target small areas with a torch.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it with a torch. I texted you back.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the whole reason for the mod. but dont you think the fact that the mount is in a location that stiffens the arch of the frame rails. Towing the RV I have, I would never remove that extra bracing. unless someone can prove that it's just after thought on the part of GM.

OP
OP
UGA Tahoe

UGA Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many people that have completed this mod I haven't heard many, if any complaints. My towing experience will probably be zero anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would personally not do this mod if you tow. Now......... by tow I don't mean "gay towing" like jet skis......... I mean real towing. Jmho

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the whole reason for the mod. but dont you think the fact that the mount is in a location that stiffens the arch of the frame rails. Towing the RV I have, I would never remove that extra bracing. unless someone can prove that it's just after thought on the part of GM.

Nope. Nothing to do with towing

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put 1k of tongue weight, use the WD bars, that has a tremendous effect on the rear frame rails. They are not that big to begin with and where they have the extra bracing on the frame is where they are more apt to get weak and bend/fail. Even with an aftermarket class 5 hitch, the rear frame rails are still a weak point. I understand that it's just a 1500 and some people like to use them for all they are worth, but.....

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents but I tried using a cutting torch and found out my undercoat was extremely flammable. The inside frame coating was equally as flammable.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would personally not do this mod if you tow. Now......... by tow I don't mean "gay towing" like jet skis......... I mean real towing. Jmho

Ive been doing this mod over 13 years now. You can tow boats no problem. I tow my ctsv with my escalade no issues. Also posted a truck towing a big boat with my 6 inch springs and helper bags no issues.

Buddys 04 suburban over 10 years with the bracket cut and tows to the psca races along the cost. Truck has over 250k miles and lowered 3/5 and he has never had issues towing his big block 70 c10 pickup and I lowered it with 13 miles on the clock.

Cut that thing off and dont worry about it.

sawzall with 8-10 inch blade and i slice it below the frame rail and put my bumpstops on and ready to roll

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hillstrubl

Latest posts