Frame stripping and sway bar link advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
So after spending some time down to Hatteras and not washing the salt off for a month now I’ve started to notice some rust coming from my frame under the factory rubber crap
Has anyone stripped the rubber undercoating off? If so what did you use a wire wheel or stripper grinder with a floppy disk or what was easiest?
I do have a cheapo sand blast gun I may try out first
Probably repaint with pqr undercoat

For the sway bar links I have the stocks up front and extended Jeep sway bar links in the rear

I want to upgrade I’ve been looking at the kryptonite links for the front but I’ve also been looking at some Heim joint sway bar links for the same price and I think they would work better

I would also eventually sway the rear ones out with some Heim joint sways for a jeep
Does anyone have any experience with the Heim joint sway bar links?
Along with a panhard bar bracket to level it and make room for a bigger differential cover.

I have coil overs and uniball control arms and I’m trying to set up for a minor MIDTRAVEL build and obtain some better ride quality
CB790EA3-467A-476E-B001-AF83E0F0F157.jpeg92644443-01F2-49A2-B8D9-B7EC79AA2837.jpegC2D4A786-9097-40B1-A99D-72E81B799C10.jpeg

DesertRat

Reaction score
I've been doing the undercarriage on mine a section at time. Depends on what I'm working on. That stuff is nasty. My focus is always somewhere else so I don't have an exact process dialed it. Generally speaking though, I always resort to stiff blade putty knife and then simple green as the last cleaning step before painting.

I'm curious to see what you come across for links. I would love to have some quick disconnect links. With all the chatter from wash board roads mine always work lose. Obviously as an aside to helping articulation.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after spending some time down to Hatteras and not washing the salt off for a month now I’ve started to notice some rust coming from my frame under the factory rubber crap
Has anyone stripped the rubber undercoating off? If so what did you use a wire wheel or stripper grinder with a floppy disk or what was easiest?
I do have a cheapo sand blast gun I may try out first
Probably repaint with pqr undercoat

For the sway bar links I have the stocks up front and extended Jeep sway bar links in the rear

I want to upgrade I’ve been looking at the kryptonite links for the front but I’ve also been looking at some Heim joint sway bar links for the same price and I think they would work better

I would also eventually sway the rear ones out with some Heim joint sways for a jeep
Does anyone have any experience with the Heim joint sway bar links?
Along with a panhard bar bracket to level it and make room for a bigger differential cover.

I have coil overs and uniball control arms and I’m trying to set up for a minor MIDTRAVEL build and obtain some better ride quality
View attachment 394932View attachment 394933View attachment 394934

Where is your half shaft? You running without them?

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
I've been doing the undercarriage on mine a section at time. Depends on what I'm working on. That stuff is nasty. My focus is always somewhere else so I don't have an exact process dialed it. Generally speaking though, I always resort to stiff blade putty knife and then simple green as the last cleaning step before painting.

I'm curious to see what you come across for links. I would love to have some quick disconnect links. With all the chatter from wash board roads mine always work lose. Obviously as an aside to helping articulation.
I had thought about using a angle die grinder with a sanding disk or a grinder with a sanding floppy disk on it perhaps I can find a real wide chisel for the air hammer I can angle it and use it to quickly scrape the old stuff off then sand afterwards and a hood purple power wash and spray down with the pressure washer before painting?
Either will use pqr undercoat and a spray gun or krylon gloss black as I’ve had really good luck with it in the past

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Where is your half shaft? You running without them?
Yea I cut them a couple years ago when I tried to stretch 6” of lift without a crossmember drop lol
I’m running kryptonite pressed wheel bearings. Since their pressed you can use them with or without cv axles installed
I never use the 4x4 in this anyways I don’t go mudding it’s my daily driver…
I got 4x4 in my white truck for when I want to go off-roading!
I did however take it on the side of the road on hwy 12 coming off of Hatteras island in some thick sand running about 70mph and she took it like a champ! I diddnt even spill my beer!
D5037F26-A0EB-45F5-952E-125EAB8E1FF0.jpeg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I cut them a couple years ago when I tried to stretch 6” of lift without a crossmember drop lol
I’m running kryptonite pressed wheel bearings. Since their pressed you can use them with or without cv axles installed
I never use the 4x4 in this anyways I don’t go mudding it’s my daily driver…
I got 4x4 in my white truck for when I want to go off-roading!
I did however take it on the side of the road on hwy 12 coming off of Hatteras island in some thick sand running about 70mph and she took it like a champ! I diddnt even spill my beer!
View attachment 394953

Do you plan on leaving the diff and front driveshaft in?

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Do you plan on leaving the diff and front driveshaft in?
Yes both are still in so I can operate it from time to time to make sure everything’s good to go
All I got to do is throw some cv axles In and I’ll have 4wd again.
again for a daily driver it’s just one more thing to go bad so I pulled them out until I plan a trip where I would need to use them

DesertRat

Reaction score
I had thought about using a angle die grinder with a sanding disk or a grinder with a sanding floppy disk on it perhaps I can find a real wide chisel for the air hammer I can angle it and use it to quickly scrape the old stuff off then sand afterwards and a hood purple power wash and spray down with the pressure washer before painting?
Either will use pqr undercoat and a spray gun or krylon gloss black as I’ve had really good luck with it in the past

An air hammer would be good in the big areas. Compressor will be running non-stop! I've used different types of wire wheels as well, but they can get gunked up and fling that crap everywhere. That's why I like the putty knife or scraper to take care of bulk removal. Makes clean up easier too. Not sure if was affected by something or not (vehicle is a salvage title) but the undercoating was super goopy. Use acetone for the final wipe down too. I use flat black rust inhibitor. Since I'm doing sections it looks like a calico cat lol.