Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I cleaned and recharged the K&N filter. I hit it twice with the cleaner just to make sure it was really clean. The end cap was chrome, but kept getting little rust spots from the water sitting at the bottom of the end cap ring. I had painted it black once, so I hit it with another fresh coat of black before reinstalling it.

While the filter was out, I removed the battery tray, gave it a quick scratch and paint. I had done this a few years ago. I also lined the bottom of the tray where it screws in with the Pasco 20mil Pipe Wrap tape.

@randeez Can't go back in as bad or worse than it was when I found it. Just can't leave it alone.

I’ve used this stuff on the truck when I reattached the hood and the hinges where metal was on metal. It is a great isolator for dissimilar metals and helps prevent corrosion. This is not the actual application for the tape, but it works.

There was already pitting on the battery tray, so no fixing that, but might as well not contribute to the issue further.

Here are the details for the Pasco tape. https://www.pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_E.pdf

View attachment 208247

View attachment 208246
View attachment 208245 View attachment 208248 View attachment 208249

Great job as usual Foss... also that Pasco tape sounds like pretty good stuff... may have to pick up a roll of it in the future.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smh:

imma get you to come hang out while i work on stuff in hopes youll just do it to my dirty ride :cheers:

I will clean rust/dirt/grime/oil off of stuff because i know next time i go in there it wont be as messy but thats where i stop

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned and recharged the K&N filter. I hit it twice with the cleaner just to make sure it was really clean. The end cap was chrome, but kept getting little rust spots from the water sitting at the bottom of the end cap ring. I had painted it black once, so I hit it with another fresh coat of black before reinstalling it.

While the filter was out, I removed the battery tray, gave it a quick scratch and paint. I had done this a few years ago. I also lined the bottom of the tray where it screws in with the Pasco 20mil Pipe Wrap tape.

@randeez Can't go back in as bad or worse than it was when I found it. Just can't leave it alone.

I’ve used this stuff on the truck when I reattached the hood and the hinges where metal was on metal. It is a great isolator for dissimilar metals and helps prevent corrosion. This is not the actual application for the tape, but it works.

There was already pitting on the battery tray, so no fixing that, but might as well not contribute to the issue further.

Here are the details for the Pasco tape. https://www.pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_E.pdf

View attachment 208247

View attachment 208246
View attachment 208245 View attachment 208248 View attachment 208249

Look into aFe pro s dry filters, non oiled, washable, and you can get them in blue it'll have black end cap. Need to measure opening, base width and end width.
Edit*** looks like the blue filters are oiled
Some like:
https://afepower.com/afe-power-24-45005-magnum-flow-pro-5r-air-filter

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work like always!

Thx man.

Youse dun real guud Foss.

I tries my bestest juno.

Great job as usual Foss... also that Pasco tape sounds like pretty good stuff... may have to pick up a roll of it in the future.

Thx man. The Pasco is good stuff. Super sticky and easy to trim with a razor or scissors.

:smh:
imma get you to come hang out while i work on stuff in hopes youll just do it to my dirty ride :cheers:

I will clean rust/dirt/grime/oil off of stuff because i know next time i go in there it wont be as messy but thats where i stop

:lol:

Look into aFe pro s dry filters, non oiled, washable, and you can get them in blue it'll have black end cap. Need to measure opening, base width and end width.
Edit*** looks like the blue filters are oiled
Some like:
https://afepower.com/afe-power-24-45005-magnum-flow-pro-5r-air-filter

Not had an issue with the oiled filter. This was the first time I have cleaned it and I might have put a dry filter in there first had I known more at the time, just for the ease of cleaning it. Thx for the link though. Maybe down the track. I like the blue filter just for cosmetic sake though. lol aesthetics matter!!

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
New LED Front Parking Lights

Tired of looking at my cloudy and ugly OEM front parking lights. A full retrofit would be good, but not in the cards right now. Those ck375s are still calling.

Decided to ebay shop for some front LED parking lights. I found a set in all chrome with LEDs and no amber reflector (I know technically not legal, but I figured I would push the limits just a bit).

4 days Fedex ground shipping from California. Well packaged. Direct fit without any modification. Actually had to type in Silverado 99-02 as 06 Tahoe did not yield any results.

The wiring harness male plugs fit snug into the OEM female plugs and as well into the aftermarket housing openings. I had to reroute the amber power wire so that it came into the middle of the housing as that is where it plugs in, unlike on the OEM housing it is on the far outside corner. Just a simple matter of pulling the wire loom to the inside. This plug was quite snug going in, but better than just flopping out.

There is a hard wired resistor about the size of a Zippo lighter. I ended up putting 3 zip ties around the resistor to the headlight framework just behind the lights. It fit perfectly there and was tight, without impeding either housing. No quick flash was experienced and all the LEDs lit up, except for one on the far outside corner. There is one row of LEDs on top with a large reflector surface below the LEDs that puts out good light as seen in the picture below. Almost looks like 2 rows of LEDs.

There is however one mystery LED on the far outside corner where the OEM amber reflector would be. This opening in the housing is gooped tight to prevent water intrusion and there is no external wire going directly to it. I have not seen it light up yet during DRL, key fob or turn signal use. Not sure yet if it will light up or not?

Edit March 2015 - I contacted the company and they confirmed that the outer single outer LED will not illuminate. I have not had any issues with the lights, nor been put off by that single LED not lighting up. Been pretty happy with the updated look thus far.

I like the clean look (without the amber) of the chrome housing. I think it enchances my front end a bit more. Looking forward to seeing the light output at night. Hopefully the LEDs will perform well for a while considering the affordable price of $49 shipped. Definitely much better than the cloudy OEM lights either way. We shall see.

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/281105164973?item=281105164973&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
(As of February 2017, this link has not shown any more of these lights offered for sale by this vendor.)

Here are some daytime photos from the install this morning before work.

View attachment 29627

View attachment 29628

View attachment 29629

View attachment 29630

View attachment 29631
Really wish I would've found these instead of the ones I ended up getting for mine. The amber versions of these are REALLY dim which sucks

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really wish I would've found these instead of the ones I ended up getting for mine. The amber versions of these are REALLY dim which sucks

These were a lucky find at the time on eBay. I have not been able to find them since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645