For those who carry. Where do you carry/holster gun in your ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has found or made a good spot to carry or put there gun at while in there riide? I live in Arizona, so can carry virtually everywhere, I know and abide by all local laws!! I have been daily carry CCW for the past few years. I IWB at about 3:30 4:30 (People who carry know what I mean) usually at about 4 o'clock, but when in car I usually move to 3:30 n not remove so I don't have to worry about it when leaving car, but can be real uncomfortable against side n back. But for long drives I remove gun & holster and put next to right leg in between seat n middle console. Easy access, but only problem is can shift around during hard braking. Just want to see where others are putting guns while driving? Have done the under the console setup with holster bolted there. Only reason I don't like that spot is it could be alittle difficult to grab IF I ever needed to grab it. Don't need it to be hidden, so not the center console deal, where cup holders are. I Have tried about everything. Carrying is comforting, not comfortable as we all know. But when in my Tahoe, like having near me for quick access, but hidden enough not to have to worry about others.

Anyone who Carries a gun in there rig came up with a good place to holster it for concealability but also easy access for the "just incase"" situation? saw this: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=370588304631&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=64318696650
If anyone has experience with this let me know how u like or dislike it? Any good suggestions is much appreciated

If you are against or Anti-gun please don't post ur comments!! You have the right to not carry or approve of guns, and I have the right to bear arms and carry. So please no anti-gun comments, if you have nothing to contribute to this subject, do nothing!! And I will do nothing when you or your family needs my help, with my gun! haha jk

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry IWB same thing, I have to twist a little to get comfortable. I usually carry a full size Colt 1911 or a Beretta 92FS IWB. Sometimes I carry my Glock 27 in a leather holster on my belt(not IWB).

Are you using a leather rig or plastic? I like leather and they are much more low profile than the plastic rigs out there.
What do you usually carry?

If I can, I would suggest keeping your gun on your person for a couple reasons.
-If you get pulled out of your car, you are armed and not leaving your gun behind only to have it turned on you.
-If you have to get out quickly due to an accident or whatever, you are armed and someone isn't calling the police telling them you were threatening them with a gun. Sometimes people tell LEO "that guy pulled a gun on me" when they see you pulling something out of a seat cushion and stuffing it in your pants.
-Fumbling around with your gun every time you get in and out of the car takes your attention away just as much as texting on your phone, and criminals are always looking for the distracted victim

Also, I don't usually suggest them, but a BUG in an ankle holster is a good place to carry in a car, it is comfortable and still on your person. I use this method almost always on road trips and in bad areas.

I put one of these in the Denali, for the few times I have to leave my gun in the truck.
http://www.consolevault.com/

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
well for $16 bucks its worth a shot looks like a good idea

ya super cheap, n if doesn't work just goes in drawer with all the other holsters that don't work!! lol

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I carry IWB same thing, I have to twist a little to get comfortable. I usually carry a full size Colt 1911 or a Beretta 92FS IWB. Sometimes I carry my Glock 27 in a leather holster on my belt(not IWB).

Are you using a leather rig or plastic? I like leather and they are much more low profile than the plastic rigs out there.
What do you usually carry?

If I can, I would suggest keeping your gun on your person for a couple reasons.
-If you get pulled out of your car, you are armed and not leaving your gun behind only to have it turned on you.
-If you have to get out quickly due to an accident or whatever, you are armed and someone isn't calling the police telling them you were threatening them with a gun. Sometimes people tell LEO "that guy pulled a gun on me" when they see you pulling something out of a seat cushion and stuffing it in your pants.
-Fumbling around with your gun every time you get in and out of the car takes your attention away just as much as texting on your phone, and criminals are always looking for the distracted victim

Also, I don't usually suggest them, but a BUG in an ankle holster is a good place to carry in a car, it is comfortable and still on your person. I use this method almost always on road trips and in bad areas.

I put one of these in the Denali, for the few times I have to leave my gun in the truck.
http://www.consolevault.com/

thanks, great advice.:Handshake:
I currently have been carrying my XD40sc in a kydex holster I had custom made by a local holster maker. I had a pretty nice leather holster before, but didn't retain my gun very well, was comfy tho. This new kydex holster is actually quite comfortable, respectfully for a plastic rig, but since had molded to fit my gun, very thin, great angle, highly retentive and with kydex, easy draw n re holstering. I want a good leather holster, sorta, but haven't found one that works for me. And spending $100+++ on a Rocky Pure Custom black ops leather holster, which I hear great things about n are local, for something that may not be for me just don't know? Crossbreeds get great reviews, but like to be able to remove my holster with one hand, having a kid n all. I hear ya on the, twist, shift, move and alter position to get grip from digging!! lol

I hear ya tho on keeping gun on you while driving. I usually always do the same thing for your above listed reasons. Just less hassle, n no worries if were forced out of vehicle and giving vehicle n gun to bg, or any other reason listed. Great points!!
I tried ankle holster, but these XDs are too heavy for that. But could see the use in vehicle alone. Was perfect when I had a s&w .380. I have a few guns, mostly fullsize, and always a backup in truck at all times. I should get alittle smaller profile gun, but love my XD40sc, and has been professionally gunsmithed. Not quite a 1911 but crisp n smooth trigger that's spot on!!

I like that vault, would be great for my truck gun, and safe. great thread, thx
Keep the advice coming!!:Handshake:

Last edited:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem!
I wish I was in AZ, I would love to be able to open carry. Here in MO, you can OC per state laws, but most every metro local muni has laws against OC.
The XD guns are a great line, I was thinking about getting a XDM 9mm 5.25 competition. The xd40sc is a pretty small gun, you should really look in to a good rig and belt. I am 5'8" 150 lbs and I have no problem carrying the 5" Colt and 92.
Hand made carry leather is fantastic and well worth the money and wait. A real holster will be made for your exact model and size gun. My holsters literally have almost every crack, line, serration mark in the leather. All of this helps hold the gun.
I have had several made and just keep adding more to the que. I am sure you have heard is a hundred times, but that is because it is true "get a GUN belt". I use http://overlandgunleather.com/beltholsters.aspx Adam is a great guy to deal with and his product is top notch.

The gun vault wont fit full size hand guns like my Colt and 92.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
ya, I OC for many years, couple issues with it: Let BGs know your packing, which can be good n bad:
It may stop one from trying to do anything knowing someone has a gun. OR. Let's BG know who to target first. Also in OCing EVERYONE looks at you like ur a weirdo gun nut!! lol, doesn't bother me. Just sucked walking into some stores and having owner eyeballing you entire time and see them have hand under counter holding onto there gun waiting for you to rob em?? LMAO everytime. But ya Arizona rocks for us gun guys. I still OC know n again and comfortable, just easier CCW and not worrying about it. AZ let's anyone CCW now, even without permit, n trying to pass law to allow on College campuses. I personally train often to keep skills on par for real life situations. And long story short, have had to use my gun for personal defense before many years back. WAS RULED DEFENSE btw!!!

I do have a good gun belt, again made by locals, like u said, is a must have for someone who Carries.
Ya, do need to bite the bullet and get a custom made leather rig suited for my needs. One reason I like my current kydex holster tho. Was specifically made for my gun, every nuck n cranny molded into it, extremely tight, extremely reliable, great angle n cant, and conceals very well. And pretty comfortable, not quite leather, but thinner then most leather holsters, and no worry of contamination from sort n water. Almost like not having a holster on! And rides low, again since custom made for me to my specs. But as we all know, it's not the gun or holster u have to worry about printing, but the grip, n no holster covers that.

I actually have the XD45compact as well, love the XD guns, n will get a XDm here soon. Have a couple Glocks, S&W Sigma 9v(don't start lol, been gunsmithed n shoots like butter) as my truck gun, and a few others ;-)

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a cheap IWB holster at Cabela's and secured it to the map holder in the center console so when I get in I take my piece and set it there leaving my holster on so I can grab it and put it in the holster before getting out. Mind you this is on long trips on shorter around town or within 100 miles I keep it on me. I have an M&P 40 full frame that I carry most days outside the waistband. I love it and for the cost of a cheap IWB it works fine for what I need. As far as the holster you posted it is cheap and seems to be sturdy. Plus for that price it is worth a shot.

OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
How does ur setup work for you? see a hard time accessing ur gun an emergency being inside the console? No?. I have found a couple good hiding spots for when I leave in vehicle.

ya the cheap vehicle holster I posted looks alright. But worried it would be hard to get in emergency. Having to cross draw, which isn't hard for (owb) carry, but not sure when sitting down n grabbing from side of seat. I have tried attaching a holster to map pockets on door, but didn't like how it didn't feel very easily accessible, and not quick enough to grab if/when needed. But like said, cheap enough to give it a try n see how it works.
Good idea tho Shawn, and hope for some more ideas from you guys

"The 7 Ps" Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has found or made a good spot to carry or put there gun at while in there riide? I live in Arizona, so can carry virtually everywhere, I know and abide by all local laws!! I have been daily carry CCW for the past few years. I IWB at about 3:30 4:30 (People who carry know what I mean) usually at about 4 o'clock, but when in car I usually move to 3:30 n not remove so I don't have to worry about it when leaving car, but can be real uncomfortable against side n back. But for long drives I remove gun & holster and put next to right leg in between seat n middle console. Easy access, but only problem is can shift around during hard braking. Just want to see where others are putting guns while driving? Have done the under the console setup with holster bolted there. Only reason I don't like that spot is it could be alittle difficult to grab IF I ever needed to grab it. Don't need it to be hidden, so not the center console deal, where cup holders are. I Have tried about everything. Carrying is comforting, not comfortable as we all know. But when in my Tahoe, like having near me for quick access, but hidden enough not to have to worry about others.

Anyone who Carries a gun in there rig came up with a good place to holster it for concealability but also easy access for the "just incase"" situation? saw this: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=370588304631&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=64318696650
If anyone has experience with this let me know how u like or dislike it? Any good suggestions is much appreciated

If you are against or Anti-gun please don't post ur comments!! You have the right to not carry or approve of guns, and I have the right to bear arms and carry. So please no anti-gun comments, if you have nothing to contribute to this subject, do nothing!! And I will do nothing when you or your family needs my help, with my gun! haha jk

I'm in Alaska, it's required that we have at least one gun on us at all times....lol.

EDIT: Sorry, I only skimmed things before, and pretty much everything I said has been addressed....d'oh! Great minds think alike, though.....

I usually carry a 4" 1911 IWB. It can get uncomfortable if I'm sitting for a long time, though. I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck custom leather holster. I highly, highly recommend these for comfort...they are a bit pricey for a holster, though.

I don't like that ebay rig. First, why on earth is it mounted cross-draw in a position that requires pretty good rotational flexibility just to get to? It'd be easier to just mount it in a normal draw position on your strong-arm side. The location isn't great, either. The door and/or seatbelt could get in the way of accessing it I would think.

Just screw a Kydex holster into the side of the partition thing (the official term, I'm sure) that the stereo and heater is in with a spacer so you can get your hand around the grip. On the inside of the driver's footwell, basically.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHITEOUT

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I'm in Alaska, it's required that we have at least one gun on us at all times....lol.

EDIT: Sorry, I only skimmed things before, and pretty much everything I said has been addressed....d'oh! Great minds think alike, though.....

I usually carry a 4" 1911 IWB. It can get uncomfortable if I'm sitting for a long time, though. I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck custom leather holster. I highly, highly recommend these for comfort...they are a bit pricey for a holster, though.

I don't like that ebay rig. First, why on earth is it mounted cross-draw in a position that requires pretty good rotational flexibility just to get to? It'd be easier to just mount it in a normal draw position on your strong-arm side. The location isn't great, either. The door and/or seatbelt could get in the way of accessing it I would think.

Just screw a Kydex holster into the side of the partition thing (the official term, I'm sure) that the stereo and heater is in with a spacer so you can get your hand around the grip. On the inside of the driver's footwell, basically.

LMFAO!!! Kinda like AZ then. Sometimes u wonder if they hand guns out at DMV for anyone over 18!!
How do you like your crossbreed super tuck? Everyone raves about them. They can be alittle pricey, but when ur willing to spend $500 + for a gun, it should be in a good holster. IMO. no reason to skimp on the thing that protects the gun. I spent over $50 on my all kydex holster getting it made for me tho so... I have never actually worn one, so can't say. But is it hard to put on and remove? I wear my gun everyday, about all day, but have the occasions thru out day where I need to remove, like getting my kid from school n certain building were no guns allowed. The one thing I like about current holder, very easy to put on n remove. Also what position do u carry ur crossbreed at? I preferably like 2 o'clock, but have found 3:30-4:30 (depending on if sitting or not) the most comfortable, concealable n easiest to access for me with my all kydex holster. but 2 o'clock is uncomfortable when sitting down especially in car. And don't feel I culd access properly when seated in vehicle. Alot of people I have talked to with crossbreed super tucks like to carry at 2 o'clock n say it's comfortable even when seated. ur thoughts?

I have been thinking about mounting a metal or plastic, belt like piece on center console, right by the leg to allow for either my (IWB) holster to latch to. Or getting second holster to just stay there to let me holster the gun easily in car for long trips, and also allow for a quick draw, easy access scenario if need be. Would be next to right leg, within easy arm reach, sort of concealed or at least out of sight, but wouldn't have to "reach" so much to grab it. What r ur guys thoughts on that?
I'm like u guys tho, rather keep on person at all times. But where I carry at makes it alittle difficult to pull quickly when in vehicle seated, especially with seat belt on. Really at any position with IWB carry when seat belted in is hard to pull. Kinda why i'm looking for a vehicle holstering system/place to allow use of gun in fast paced, run-up BG situation

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts