Flex a lite fan melting fuse holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I would build a three relay setup like the 05 on up trucks came with. But then you would also need two triggers. That way, one trigger can turn one fan on high speed, or the second trigger would turn both fans on at low speed. If both triggers are activated at the same time, then BOTH fans will run at high speed. On the OEM harness, one trigger is the temperature trigger, and that turns both fans on at low speed. The second trigger is connected to the AC compressor, and turns one fan on at high speed if the AC is on. But if the engine is up to temperature, AND the AC is on, then BOTH fans run at high speed.

Reaction score
To be honest, I would build a three relay setup like the 05 on up trucks came with. But then you would also need two triggers. That way, one trigger can turn one fan on high speed, or the second trigger would turn both fans on at low speed. If both triggers are activated at the same time, then BOTH fans will run at high speed. On the OEM harness, one trigger is the temperature trigger, and that turns both fans on at low speed. The second trigger is connected to the AC compressor, and turns one fan on at high speed if the AC is on. But if the engine is up to temperature, AND the AC is on, then BOTH fans run at high speed.

Thanks @ScottyBoy , I'll definitely look into your suggestion!

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t stress over it too much.
I’ve been running the original FAL controller on my fans for at least 5 years now. The only problem I had was right after the install. It blew the 30amp supplied fuse. After putting an amp probe on it and seeing that it pulls 36 amps I changed the fuse to a 40 and it’s been fine since.

I did have to replace a motor about 6 months ago.

Reaction score
I’ve been running the original FAL controller on my fans for at least 5 years now. The only problem I had was right after the install. It blew the 30amp supplied fuse. After putting an amp probe on it and seeing that it pulls 36 amps I changed the fuse to a 40 and it’s been fine since.

Thanks very much, Kevin @fire730 , I'll put a 40 amp fuse in there instead of the 30.

Reaction score
@fire730 @SunlitComet @ScottyBoy did any of you have any issues with your alternator? I'm running my stock 105 amp Delphi alternator and am thinking perhaps, especially when at idle in the Phoenix heat with the AC cranked all the way up and sucking amps down, that I should upgrade my alternator to at least a 140 amp model. Will the stock gauge red and black battery and alternator cables be ok? Thoughts? I'm not running any fancy stereo equipment so I don't know or think I'll need to do The Big 3 wiring upgrade?????

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Thanks very much, Kevin @fire730 , I'll put a 40 amp fuse in there instead of the 30.

Glad you haven't had any trouble but this can be a really bad idea, as you may now be over fused for the wire size, i.e. The wire will melt /burn before the fuse blows. @ScottyBoy, do you know the wire size?

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s putting out 36 amps I have to use a 40. I’m the one who hasn’t had a problem in 5 years. And my fans run on high ALL the time here in Louisiana.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That fuse holder could have melted like that from a poor connection inside the fuse holder. All it has is 2 female slide in connectors.
I had a customers car with a loose wire to the battery terminal that melted the lead on the terminal cause it was loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645