*fixed* ANOTHER fuel pump/pressure question 03 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CBIII

Reaction score
Sorry in advance.. I've chased everything I can at this point so here I am. bought the truck in January and no noticeable issues. A few weeks ago (after it had been running for ~2 hours from errands), I get a slight backfire, then it has no power and won't move. I shut it off and fired it back up and it was good for another ~10 minutes, then it did the same thing, ran like ass and could barely move. Whole vehicle shook, etc. Parked it and attempted to restart and no success. eventually had to tow it home, where it started after the tow. I let it be overnight, and it fired up again in the morning. I swapped fuel filter as a hail mary and strapped a fuel gauge to it. ~35psi. It made it about 45 minutes to a friend's place where it gave out entirely and would not start.
Took several seconds to start after cranking.
When it WOULD run, it would have 20-40psi, but it would vary.
When I would turn they key on, the gauge would make it to 30psi, a relay would click in the underhood panel and pressure would drop off.
Pressing the accelerator, pressure would fall off to ~20psi.
Pressure did not change when I removed the vac line from intake to regulator.
Replaced fuel filter, regulator, no change in pressure.
swapped a delphi pump assembly and had 55psi initially, but still took a while to start after cranking. Noticed down on power under WOT, checked fuel pressure and a steady 35psi at idle but same dropoff at 30psi when I turn the key on but do not crank. hits 30, relay clicks, pressure falls off. I replaced the filter again, no change. weak pressure at the rail.
Swapped in an AC Delco (2 weeks later) and still only 35psi at the rail but it seems to run much better. is there anything I'm missing? no CEL, but pulling codes previously showed each bank is lean. no misfires.

Is my gauge broken? could be be fuel pump wiring?

*EDIT* I failed to point out/didn't invest enough time into thinking about the fact that the regulator I swapped was a used one from my silverado I had gone to aftermarket rails (apparently factory regulator couldn't handle 210lb injecors?), so it was used, but worked fine a few years back.. I think? Bought a new AC Delco from Rock auto, tossed it on and away went the issue. I appreciate the guidance/support/sanity checks y'all gave.

Last edited:

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle specs?

If one of the fuel injectors is damaged and stuck open, this can cause a low fuel pressure in the rail. You will often notice this by misfire codes on a specific cylinder at the same time.

It sounds like you need a new OEM fuel pump. You say you swapped a Delphi? Was it new? A known good one?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Is the engine flex fuel or gas? What engine? Possibilities are 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0. For the sake of moving on I am going to assume a 5.3L. All 03 Denali's do not have the same parts.

Agree with @PNWTahoe about a possible injector problem. How old are the ignition components? Pull the plugs and inspect. Post pics of them here. That is just to react to fuel pressure but that 35 psi is not enough.

Flex fuel: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7056044&cc=1415551&pt=10147&jsn=893

Gas: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1300750&cc=1415551&pt=10147&jsn=892

Fuel pressure regulator-flex fuel: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=344238&cc=1415551&pt=6124&jsn=904

Fuel pressure regulator-gas: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1029862&cc=1415551&pt=6124&jsn=905

OP
OP
C

CBIII

Reaction score
wow. ok.
Would a stuck injector throw bank lean code on both banks?
Both the Delphi and AC Delco pumps were brand new. The AC Delco had the holographic stickers and gm oem ****.
I'm almost certain there was only 1 engine and fuel option for a 2003 yukon (non XL) denali.
I replaced the plugs myself a few months back but if my fuel pressure is that low and im running lean on both banks but not bad enough to throw a CEL so I think we can all agree as to what they'd look like. TR6 gapped to. uh. whatever recommended spec was on ls1tech. .065? idk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@CBIII the 8th digit of your VIN is what... Z? T? or ? That's the engine code. Gap on these spark plugs should be 0.040". (40 thousandths)

Flex pump will have two fuel (hose) connections and the non-flex will have three. Can't really mix 'em up unless it's F-U-BAR. (that word is banned!)

OP
OP
C

CBIII

Reaction score
@CBIII the 8th digit of your VIN is what... Z? T? or ? That's the engine code. Gap on these spark plugs should be 0.040". (40 thousandths)

Flex pump will have two fuel (hose) connections and the non-flex will have three. Can't really mix 'em up unless it's F-U-BAR. (that word is banned!)
It's a 2003 yukon denali. non XL so it's a u code. They ONLY came with 6.0s and I'm almost certain no non-XLs were flex fuel in that year.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After I mentioned, in post #3, the choices of engines, this is the first time you have mentioned the engine size. That is why that is best to post all rig info in the beginning or in your signature like we do. Takes the guesswork out of it. That is why I had said I was using the 5.3L option in my links.

OP
OP
C

CBIII

Reaction score
After I mentioned, in post #3, the choices of engines, this is the first time you have mentioned the engine size. That is why that is best to post all rig info in the beginning or in your signature like we do. Takes the guesswork out of it. That is why I had said I was using the 5.3L option in my links.
Dont take this the wrong way but if iI'm posting in a year/model-specific forum and you have to ask me what engine is in model that only has ONE engine option, I don't think you're going to be of any help to me anyhow.

I also didn't say if it was fuel-injected or carb'd. It's fuel injected.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I said when I went to look up a part for you, that I supplied the link for, RA gave 3 engine options. That is why I said what I said. I know it is fuel injected but when I see 3 engine options, that is why I asked and I also explained that earlier. Just like the tv, if you don't want any of my help or thoughts, change the channel. All Good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec