First trip into the woods... Gonna need some changes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Rip that airdam off, throw on the good tires and make sure you have skid plates. My Yukon is a tank off-road .Do you have the locking rear?

I think I do... I had one in my Ram and so when I broke traction in the Yukon, I got the typical sideways movement from both rear tires spinning. Not sure where to check for sure, though. I assume there's a tag on the diff with a specific code like there was on my `97 Suburban; lists the gear ratio and if there is a factory locker.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll want to take those running boards off as they will probably be the first thing to get jacked up off roading

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I do... I had one in my Ram and so when I broke traction in the Yukon, I got the typical sideways movement from both rear tires spinning. Not sure where to check for sure, though. I assume there's a tag on the diff with a specific code like there was on my `97 Suburban; lists the gear ratio and if there is a factory locker.
yep, check the codes in the glovebox. look for G80

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Took it back out yesterday and it is much improved. Still haven't got around to removing the front air dam and am on the fence regarding removing the running boards. I really liked them on my pickup and used them quite a bit. But this Yukon is so much lower, I'm not sure I use them.

Anyway, drove about 80 miles of gravel and dirt roads in the mountains, including the prior logging road that it did so poorly on last week. Definitely did not have to put it in 4wd this time and actually took it into some fairly deep mud holes and was able to get through them with moderate tire spin and no 4wd. The rear locker definitely helps. Very happy with the tires and it was able to get me everywhere I wanted to go.

VvSWu6C1xO7qKzCsqfvvI3PZfFJ34oSghy0odkffAcUpX92IB.jpg

mH_rTlsiWGftewhZU9Xb9yAj8Qg_6kbOlODQW4fE47ApX92IB.jpg

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definetly take off the air dam, it takes 5 minutes and it drives the same but gives better clearance. took my 5 minutes or less to do. you could leave the running boards on to protect the rockers if you wanted but it looks a lot taller without themIMG_20180222_223628_preview.jpg

Junkpile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My kids and I took ours out in the woods last weekend. I was surprised at how good it felt offroad for how low and heavy it is. We stayed in the tamer areas and it was really dry, but still, the big XL pulled surprisingly well considering my 275/55/20 highway treads. The G80 diff works better than I expected.

I will say though, if I had not already removed the air dam and running boards, the trail would have done it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518