First time actually installing a radio into any vehicle. I need all the help i can get PLEASE.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Indoe385

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2007 Tahoe which had GPS navigation and Bose sound system. Recently my head unit was stolen for my truck and the harnesses were cut so all I have left are a bunch of wires sticking out the middle console. just bought a Pioneer AVIC5200-NEX but have no clue which wire is which. Also bought the idatalink Maestro RR along w the GM5+ & AVGM5 in order to keep my steering wheel controls as well as my rear entertainment system. Is it possible for all of it to work together like it did before. if so does anybody know what I need in order to make this happen. I don't know what other vehicle information is needed in order to be able to tell. Please be specific and would appreciate details step by step. Also uploaded pics of my vin and sticker inside glove compartment. I hope someone out there knows exactly what they're talking about and would appreciate a little help I mean lots of help.lol. Thanks so much.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to do it right you the connectors that were cut and put them back together, dealer probably sells them or special order, once you do that it's pretty much plug n play although that maestro rr is a whole can of worms on it's own. at the very least you will need to download the gm upfitter guide but that only provides so much.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone on this Forum should be able to provide you with a wiring diagram of the wire bundle that the thieves cut, when they stole your head unit. Once you have that, you should be able to match up the wires, between your truck's wiring harness, the Pioneer head unit (using their instructions) and the idatalink unit (using their instructions).

You may even be able to purchase a replacement the OEM wiring harness socket that went into your original radio, and re-wire the connections from the cut wires, matching up the wire colors. Then, you 'should' be able to plug the OEM socket into a matching socket from the idatalink unit.

For my truck, the only feature that I lost in the conversion to an aftermarket system was my rear view camera, and for an additional $100 I could have had that wired up, as well.

Good luck on your conversion!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy the pigtails off a wrecked vehicle like yours at a wrecking yard and match the colors on the wires, solder and heat shrink them so you have a stock harness to start from. Then follow the directions on the Maestro to install it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do what Mark said. Junkyards typically sell wire by the foot, so you can go snip a harness with the plugs out of a junked Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban or even a decked-out Silverado or Sierra (gonna be harder to find the trucks with the options) and be set for a few bucks. Match up the wire colors and use the diagrams to double-verify you have the correct color going to the correct plug and pin spot. After that, everything should be a matter of wiring the Pioneer to the Maestro (pretty much just match wire colors together because of the universal color code) and plugging everything in.

WHYTNOYZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2007 Tahoe which had GPS navigation and Bose sound system. Recently my head unit was stolen for my truck and the harnesses were cut so all I have left are a bunch of wires sticking out the middle console. just bought a Pioneer AVIC5200-NEX but have no clue which wire is which. Also bought the idatalink Maestro RR along w the GM5+ & AVGM5 in order to keep my steering wheel controls as well as my rear entertainment system. Is it possible for all of it to work together like it did before. if so does anybody know what I need in order to make this happen. I don't know what other vehicle information is needed in order to be able to tell. Please be specific and would appreciate details step by step. Also uploaded pics of my vin and sticker inside glove compartment. I hope someone out there knows exactly what they're talking about and would appreciate a little help I mean lots of help.lol. Thanks so much.
Hey bro sorry to hear about your loss due to break in. That sucks. Okay so I have 05 Yukon Denali xl which is essentially same thing. If I am not mistaken to bight the new head unit/ plus the st retention device as well as the device which links stereo to internal wiring behind stereo. That’s great. Now question , do you plan on installing any aftermarket amps or subs? If so there is a product made by audio control the lc2i which is used to install aftermarket amps and subs etc when retaining stock head unit. I use this in all my vehicles recently I changed out my hunit to a pioneer dbl din which only had 4 door speaker outs on it. The nex stereo may have more I’m not sure. If not this device will allow you to use your small 3.5” rear cargo speakers plus the tweeters up front rather than loose those which make a decent difference i think. Yes you should be able to retain all the same functions as before from what you have so far. Like others have stated you can buy a own harness from eBay or junk yard which will make things much easier to match up wire colors to new stereo. I’ll post some more pics of my truck so you and others can see. Hope this may help. B

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey bro sorry to hear about your loss due to break in. That sucks. Okay so I have 05 Yukon Denali xl which is essentially same thing. If I am not mistaken to bight the new head unit/ plus the st retention device as well as the device which links stereo to internal wiring behind stereo. That’s great. Now question , do you plan on installing any aftermarket amps or subs? If so there is a product made by audio control the lc2i which is used to install aftermarket amps and subs etc when retaining stock head unit. I use this in all my vehicles recently I changed out my hunit to a pioneer dbl din which only had 4 door speaker outs on it. The nex stereo may have more I’m not sure. If not this device will allow you to use your small 3.5” rear cargo speakers plus the tweeters up front rather than loose those which make a decent difference i think. Yes you should be able to retain all the same functions as before from what you have so far. Like others have stated you can buy a own harness from eBay or junk yard which will make things much easier to match up wire colors to new stereo. I’ll post some more pics of my truck so you and others can see. Hope this may help. B
He hasn’t been on the forum since Oct ‘20 and only posted twice in his short time here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645