Finally Jumped on the Oil Catch Can Bandwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are y’all using for the hose material? My local store didn’t have vacuum lines that size, so I ended up using fuel line. As I feared it doesn’t hold the shape. I’m not sure if that’s a big concern.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are y’all using for the hose material? My local store didn’t have vacuum lines that size, so I ended up using fuel line. As I feared it doesn’t hold the shape. I’m not sure if that’s a big concern.

I used braid reinforced fuel line (what came with the can), it is pretty stiff, definitely isn't going to collapse under vacuum.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temp does engine oil freeze at?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
-70F or so for 0w30 it's best to build a small fire under the SUV before starting..... /s

most people that live in super cold climates use oil heaters to bring it to about 0C

this is why firetrucks are plugged in while at home so the engine is always warmed up( i'm sure it uses the coolant heated circulation to do this)

the hybrid has an electrical cooler pump going while the engine is off to prevent overheating or thermal damage i.e block warp

Bagherra

Reaction score
Im just learning of the benefits of a catch can...what do you guys recommend ?

I have a 2016 Denali...

Last edited:

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just make sure to frequently check and empty your catch can. I had no issues for the first couple years cause my driving habits didn't change, then the Wu Flu hit and I wasn't driving as much. We then started taking long trips and I sort of forgot about it until my check engine light went on. I put my OBD ii reader on it, can't remember the exact code, but it had something to do with the PCV. My catch can was almost full, so I emptied it and went for a drive, and all is fine. Luckily the light went on about 2 blocks from my house.

So out of curiosity, what would happen if you continued to drive with a full catch can?

PS - My catch can has a screw on dip stick so it's easy to check without removing the reservoir, and can be checked when the engine is hot.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure to frequently check and empty your catch can. I had no issues for the first couple years cause my driving habits didn't change, then the Wu Flu hit and I wasn't driving as much. We then started taking long trips and I sort of forgot about it until my check engine light went on. I put my OBD ii reader on it, can't remember the exact code, but it had something to do with the PCV. My catch can was almost full, so I emptied it and went for a drive, and all is fine. Luckily the light went on about 2 blocks from my house.

So out of curiosity, what would happen if you continued to drive with a full catch can?

PS - My catch can has a screw on dip stick so it's easy to check without removing the reservoir, and can be checked when the engine is hot.

You likely would start seeing blue smoke at some point, maybe a code for random misses for oil fouling the plugs (but that likely would be quite a ways down the road).

My catch can has a petcock on the bottom. I empty it about every two weeks and check the oil while I am in there. The most I have gotten was about a teaspoon, when I went about a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts