Oil sitting on bottom of PCV valve - catchcan or new PCV valve needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukbludvl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy. My 2003 Yukon has the old PCV valve that's in the vacuum line -- before they integrated it into the valve cover. It has the fixed orifice type, so no rattling part inside. My question is this: I'm seeing oil on the bottom of it when I pull vacuum line out. When I say the bottom, I mean the flat part with the small hole in the middle. Is this a problem, or is this how it's intended to work? I have to think oil is getting sucked up through there.

Do I just need to replace my PCV valve, or should I consider a catch can? If catch can, anybody point me to a good quality one, and are they hard to install?

I've only had this Yukon about a month. Bought it used with 150k miles. I've changed the oil once -- went from the 10W-30 or 10W-40 the previous owner was running to 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm still tracking oil consumption, but there are zero leaks - it's bone dry, and I think I'm possibly burning some oil. Will continue to monitor to figure out how much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21