Figured out how to keep steady voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did unplugging this make the battery light come on? I want to unplug this and do the big three. I have a 2500 watt amp in wired at .5 right now with just one good agm under the hood. My volt meter on the dash doesnt drop below 12 but im going to watch it with a dmm while pushing it hard.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sitting in traffic earlier today, my voltage was down to 12-ish. I shifted to neutral and revved the motor and it climbed to 14. Maybe the cooling fan drug down the voltage? Either that or my alternator is getting weak and the extra heat from idling reduced it's output. Whatever, at least it's not dropping voltage while driving.

tuckerm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sitting in traffic earlier today, my voltage was down to 12-ish. I shifted to neutral and revved the motor and it climbed to 14. Maybe the cooling fan drug down the voltage? Either that or my alternator is getting weak and the extra heat from idling reduced it's output. Whatever, at least it's not dropping voltage while driving.

Mine truck does the same with the A/C on full blast. When the cooling fan kicks in, it drops the voltage but not as bad as before. That appears to be normal operation.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unplugged mine today.2500 watt amp and i doesnt seem to drop under 13. But im not sure how accurate that is to the amp. I tried plugging my dmm in and it smoked on me. It was off when i put the probes on so maybe thats why idk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. I'm still learning the traits of this thing. I bought it in May but I usually just drive it in small spurts on the weekends. Thanks for the input.

Suburban 305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok everyone I had similar draining problem when I had my 3 15s sub solo baric L5 2250watts soon as I add a second battery XS power D3400 I was able to play my system at night time with everything running full blast

roamrocker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on the 07+ we have this regulating system (Regulated Voltage Control or RVC) that basically controls the alternator when it sees more/less drain on the battery.

Being that I have a decent sized stereo as well as HIDs (with the relay harness) on my truck, I looked for a way to turn the RVC off. There would be points while driving that my HIDs would start to flicker because the ballast weren't getting 12 volts. I thought it was the ballast and swapped sides and even purchased new ballast with the same results.

Well, there is a wire connection on the negative side of the battery that controls this system. If you unplug it, your alternator will continue to charge and will stay around 14v while driving. I've had this unplugged for almost a month now with no issues what so ever. No more stereo drain, no more flashing of my HIDs, nothing. I haven't seen any consequences of disconnecting it either.

Here's a few pics you can see the plug and the wiring to disconnect. I put some electrical tape over the connections so they don't rust or get corroded or anything.

photo1_zps344fc5e0.jpg

photo2_zpsf1ecbf11.jpg

photo3_zpsabf70b3f.jpg

Can anyone upload these photos? Id like do this mod on my 09 Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9