Failed inspection today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mzr2240

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haven't done any mods, replaced the alternator a couple months ago. Drives great, no issues or lights on the dash. I use a range obd plugin but I took that off and it still failed. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 14

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We've heard that unplugging the Range device can reset some of the monitors, although it seems to vary. Anyway, your pic is showing that there are three monitors that have not completed, and usually you're allowed only one incomplete monitor. You'll need to drive it for a bit without the Range device to get the monitors to set, so be sure to re-check them with your scanner before going back to retest.

What part of the country?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
We've heard that unplugging the Range device can reset some of the monitors, although it seems to vary. Anyway, your pic is showing that there are three monitors that have not completed, and usually you're allowed only one incomplete monitor. You'll need to drive it for a bit without the Range device to get the monitors to set, so be sure to re-check them with your scanner before going back to retest.

What part of the country?
In Jersey all monitors need to be set, if not you fail.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't done any mods, replaced the alternator a couple months ago. Drives great, no issues or lights on the dash. I use a range obd plugin but I took that off and it still failed. Any suggestions?
I use a range OBD plug in my Yukon. I’m fairly certain it also caused my systems to fail this past week.

Have to do a drive cycle with the range unplugged then try to get it tested again

OP
OP
M

mzr2240

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll try driving it around without the range device in, we'll see if that helps. It was failing on 4 monitors but as soon as I unplugged it I only failed for 3. I'm in Tx but I don't know how many I'm allowed to fail here. Thanks guys

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try driving it around without the range device in, we'll see if that helps. It was failing on 4 monitors but as soon as I unplugged it I only failed for 3. I'm in Tx but I don't know how many I'm allowed to fail here. Thanks guys
I don’t think any emission states will let you fail any of the test.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Here’s the work around to manually reset the equipment. I had my Tech2 plugged in during the drive cycle so that after each drive cycle I could verify the BCM showed success.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably true. But we're talking not about failing, but monitors being ready.

Yeah I agree we got off track with the terminology. But monitors that aren’t set would be a fail in the eyes of the inspector if I’m not mistaken

But no need for diagnostics, just need to complete drive cycle

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans