factory engine oil cooler lines worth installing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling the exhaust manifolds and motor mount...
wonder if I should install engine oil cooler lines (to radiator) and replace the trans cooler lines (for the additional external cooler)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling the exhaust manifolds and motor mount...
wonder if I should install engine oil cooler lines (to radiator) and replace the trans cooler lines (for the additional external cooler)

I did this to mine when I needed a new radiator. I bought one that had the EOC in it and the OEM line set. Installed it during the next oil change. Removing the manifold and mount isn't necessary, but if you're already doing that then it'd certainly help.

Unless you're running yours harder than normal- towing, racing, lots of slow trail crawling, etc., the engine oil cooler isn't necessary. It's one of those not needed, but couldn't hurt things. I got my rad and the line set for the same price as just the non-EOC radiator, so it was a "free" upgrade. I've been known to run my Tahoe hard from time to time.

I'd like to get the trans cooler line set from the models that have the factory external cooler. I'd mod it to plumb in the Tru-Cool 40K I've been storing for about three years now.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if I should install engine oil cooler lines (to radiator)
Unless your engine plays or works REALLY hard, and/or lives in an unusually hot climate, not really necessary.
Warm motor oil - 221F-230F - works much better than cold motor oil.
... and replace the trans cooler lines (for the additional external cooler)
Of course you should do this.
Unlike motor oil, ATF lives longer UNDER 212F.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not likely that the engine will be run hard, but like iamdub, I have a replacement radiator that has the cooler ports.. Might throw it in just for the heck of it..

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you already have the radiator. I'd do the lines since they are a direct bolt on.

the in tank coolers do a really good job of stabilizing Temps over all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts