2013 Z71 Suburban additional transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
That's an old style connector, GM hasn't used those in over a decade. I was trying to get Derale to make us a slightly larger cooler with the OE fittings but it fell on deaf ears.

So factory installation it is for me, works fine anyways.
My Derale model has the female threaded ports (not sure of thread size off top of my head) that I was able to buy the Dorman screw in adapters from the local O'Reillys that take the factory 3/8" springlock lines.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Derale model has the female threaded ports (not sure of thread size off top of my head) that I was able to buy the Dorman screw in adapters from the local O'Reillys that take the factory 3/8" springlock lines.
Did you take pics or post on the part numbers used?

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow.
Just looked back at the pics on my phone and I don't see any install pics.

I do have a recently taken pic of the front end with the bumper cover off and you can see it. The bolts that came with the mount kit started rusting so I bought stainless steel bolts/washers/nylon nuts to replace them. They look crappy in these pics, they are the old rusty bolts with FluidFilm sprayed on them

20230506_161916.jpg

20230506_162000.jpg

That's the 19 row Derale model 51978 which is only like 6.5" tall. I thought about getting the 25 row model 52578 which is just under 2" taller but was afraid it might not fit under the plastic that surrounds the hood latch.

The mount tabs are seperate and they have a couple different styles.

The inlet/outlet on this cooler is 7/8-14 threads or -10an fitting. I found Dorman makes a fitting that screws in and accepts the OE style 3/8" snap lock trans lines.

EDIT: I used adapters to adapt the 7/8-14 threads to 3/8-18 threads to fit the dorman spring lock fittings. Only needed if using OE cooler lines. If using AN lines and fittings, then the appropriate fitting just needs to be used.

Eaton Aeroquip 2216-6-10S
Dorman trans line connector #800-605

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked back at the pics on my phone and I don't see any install pics.

I do have a recently taken pic of the front end with the bumper cover off and you can see it. The bolts that came with the mount kit started rusting so I bought stainless steel bolts/washers/nylon nuts to replace them. They look crappy in these pics, they are the old rusty bolts with FluidFilm sprayed on them

View attachment 407129

View attachment 407130

That's the 19 row Derale model 51978 which is only like 6.5" tall. I thought about getting the 25 row model 52578 which is just under 2" taller but was afraid it might not fit under the plastic that surrounds the hood latch.

The mount tabs are seperate and they have a couple different styles.

The inlet/outlet on this cooler is 7/8-14 threads or -10an fitting. I found Dorman makes a fitting that screws in and accepts the OE style 3/8" snap lock trans lines.

EDIT: I used adapters to adapt the 7/8-14 threads to 3/8-18 threads to fit the dorman spring lock fittings. Only needed if using OE cooler lines. If using AN lines and fittings, then the appropriate fitting just needs to be used.

Eaton Aeroquip 2216-6-10S
Dorman trans line connector #800-605
Thanks very much Tom. I love the factory look. How much did that lower your temperatures?

Reaction score
Thanks very much Tom. I love the factory look. How much did that lower your temperatures?
When I've looked at the trans temp on the DIC, I've never seen it over 176. The few times I've towed has been on fairly flat ground though, so no steep hills.

The hottest trans temp I've seen was about 4 years ago with the OE cooler while on vacation. While not towing, the vehicle was loaded with family and all our luggage. It was in the 190's and even hit 201 while in stop and go traffic

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The trans temp in the DIC on my 2019 Z71 Tahoe is consistently 198 degrees.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 190k mile 2007 6L80 temp always run 80 to 100*f above outside air temp (not towing) in the summer. So 105* day like yesterday it would run 185* to 205*. This isn't too hot for Dexron6. I do regular used atf analysis and have determined a full Dex6 atf flush with filter change is good for the way I drive for 50k miles. If I do a pan only drain and refill its good for 25k miles. Original converter was changed proactively at 130k miles with a rebuilt from Precision. Your results may vary. Our Denali gas the little factory external atf cooler.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia