2013 Z71 Suburban additional transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffm333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had the transmission replaced in this truck and opted to have them install an additional transmission cooler. I believe it is a “supercool” branded cooler but looking at the receipt from the work it is not specified.

Upon first driving it, after a 25-30 minute drive the trans temp was at 203; hotter than expected especially with the additional cooler. I have not tested it uphill yet. Upon inspection, the shop simply disconnected the factory fluid lines leading to the factory “cooler” within the radiator, and connected them to hoses leading to the new (and surprisingly fairly small) external cooler mounted in front of the AC condensor. They didn’t cap the old radiator input/output lines either.

From reading about external additional coolers here and other places, I was expecting this to be put in series with the factory cooler, presumably in series on the “output” side of the radiator connection. Is this not the preferred/superior solution? Or is what the transmission shop has done normal?

I’m just learning about transmission replacements and transmission coolers, so any input and recommendations here are appreciated - including superior external cooler examples if anyones has them.

Many thanks!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had the transmission replaced in this truck and opted to have them install an additional transmission cooler. I believe it is a “supercool” branded cooler but looking at the receipt from the work it is not specified.

Upon first driving it, after a 25-30 minute drive the trans temp was at 203; hotter than expected especially with the additional cooler. I have not tested it uphill yet. Upon inspection, the shop simply disconnected the factory fluid lines leading to the factory “cooler” within the radiator, and connected them to hoses leading to the new (and surprisingly fairly small) external cooler mounted in front of the AC condensor. They didn’t cap the old radiator input/output lines either.

From reading about external additional coolers here and other places, I was expecting this to be put in series with the factory cooler, presumably in series on the “output” side of the radiator connection. Is this not the preferred/superior solution? Or is what the transmission shop has done normal?

I’m just learning about transmission replacements and transmission coolers, so any input and recommendations here are appreciated - including superior external cooler examples if anyones has them.

Many thanks!
They took a shortcut. They should have replaced your radiator and cooler lines as part of the job. You're right that it needs be plumbed in series with the radiator. You can replace the radiator yourself if you wish and route the lines properly.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

Many thanks!
If I were you I would order a tru cool 40k transmission cooler to replace that one
They send you the brackets hoses and clamps for install

When I did mine it dropped my temps from 205 and higher down to 165-175’

Also I spliced the line that went into the radiator in a way it would run though the radiator along with the additional cooler. Well worth the cheap insurance
IMG_4082.jpeg
IMG_4080.jpeg
Also I mount mine up instead of down so I can bleed all the air and pre fill the cooler upon installation.
Hope this helps some!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by short cut, he means you can't really flush the coolers very well, even the ones in the radiator end tank. so you should replace that before hooking it back up after a tranny rebuild.

but yeah, inline with the in radiator is a good idea overall. they didn't do the job 100%.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Many thanks!
Might as well have no cooler at all with it done that way!

It has to be radiator first, then the external cooler and back to the transmission. If you get that monster Tru-Cool, mount it low so it doesn't heat up the radiator and condenser.

My little factory external cooler works just fine.

1692984954046.png

OP
OP
jeffm333

jeffm333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Working with the shop now to put them in series as everyone has outlined (and how I thought it would originally be done), and we have a snag: They have said (and showed me) that the inlet connector on the 2013 SUburban radiator isn't the same type fitting we got ind n the cooler kit or that I've seen referenced in videos and posts here. Mine looks like "quick-connect" with a snap ring? The typical connectors I've seen people using (LIke the Derale part D13004, https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13004.html ) are threaded and different from what it appears I have here?

Is anyone familiar with the actual connector I'd need to purchase so I don't need to cut the metal fluid line?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Leave the oem cooler disconnected. The oem cooler rust over time and colant goes into the transmission and you will b left stranded on the side of the road.

I added the tru cooler to my suv and got the ecm tune to turn on the cooling fans at 190*. The factory setting turns on the fans is the 220ish degrees, that is way to hot. This summer I drove through the Arizona heat at over 100* and never over heated. Previous years always ran hot

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave the oem cooler disconnected. The oem cooler rust over time and colant goes into the transmission and you will b left stranded on the side of the road.

I added the tru cooler to my suv and got the ecm tune to turn on the cooling fans at 190*. The factory setting turns on the fans is the 220ish degrees, that is way to hot. This summer I drove through the Arizona heat at over 100* and never over heated. Previous years always ran hot
You dont want to bypass the fluid cooler in the rad as the majority of heat exchange is done via that cooler. The large external trans cooler functions like an aux cooler giving an extra maybe 10-15 degrees reduction in terms of avg running temps.

I always advise customers to simply replace the radiator or have it and its int trans cooler reconditioned by a competent radiator shop to prevent rust-driven coolant leakage into the transmission if the mileage is high and radiator's never been replaced.

Adding a deep pan for xtra capacity also helps, esp for anything HD or HP.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working with the shop now to put them in series as everyone has outlined (and how I thought it would originally be done), and we have a snag: They have said (and showed me) that the inlet connector on the 2013 SUburban radiator isn't the same type fitting we got ind n the cooler kit or that I've seen referenced in videos and posts here. Mine looks like "quick-connect" with a snap ring? The typical connectors I've seen people using (LIke the Derale part D13004, https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13004.html ) are threaded and different from what it appears I have here?

Is anyone familiar with the actual connector I'd need to purchase so I don't need to cut the metal fluid line?
I imagine you can remove the factory trans cooler fittings and replace with AN fittings which are/should be threaded to receive your aux cooler's line fittings.

Summit has a page with a list of tpis - it may be worth a call to them if no one here knows. The threads in the radiator's trans cooler should be 6AN straight cut with an O-ring.

BTW - Im also in Vegas and if you're who I think you may be, we have chatted over the phone and both know someone named "Joe"...if im mistaken, please forgive me and disregard. If you have any trans specific questions feel free to post them in my 6L80 Info thread - link is in my sig...

Reaction score
If I were you I would order a tru cool 40k transmission cooler to replace that one
They send you the brackets hoses and clamps for install

When I did mine it dropped my temps from 205 and higher down to 165-175’

Also I spliced the line that went into the radiator in a way it would run though the radiator along with the additional cooler. Well worth the cheap insurance
View attachment 406945
View attachment 406946
Also I mount mine up instead of down so I can bleed all the air and pre fill the cooler upon installation.
Hope this helps some!
What's the benefit of bleeding air and pre-filling the cooler?

The fluid drains back to the pan when the engine is shut off. That is one reason why the level is checked while running and up to temp.

Cooler input/output orientation doesn't really matter. Mounted up just leaves fluid in the cooler when engine is shut off.

Air gets into lines every time engine shuts off, and gets pushed out as soon as engine starts and fluid fills the lines. Trans has a vent on top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts