Extended Warranty--Yea or Nea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mother's tahoe radiator broke 2-3 days after the warranty expired. It cost an arm and a leg to replace it. That and other repairs it had post-warranty more than justifies an extended warranty.

Yes, I am most definitely getting an extending warranty.

Last edited:

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the price. I'd pay say, $1000 or so. Not $2000. IF it was 5 years/100k bumper-to-bumper and IF I knew I would keep the truck no more than 5 years. Well when selling that truck with a little bit of factory bumper-to-bumper coverage left, it'll be worth another $1000 more than the other Denalis at that time.

I remember that my previous Cadillac SUV had, in 3 years of ownership (post factory warranty but I had 2 additional years of CPO...as I bought this one used from Cadiilac)...amongst major things...two power running board motors ($1650), one water pump, both valve cover gaskets, transmission cooler line, 2 sets of wheel bearings, 1 headlamp assembly, 1 xenon bulb, one power seat motor on the driver's side. I'd say I won on that truck warranty-wise.

I WILL say that much of this depends on your relationship with your dealer and their service department. My guys typically write anything and everything to "try" to get coverage. Some places are reluctant to write anything. I've had things replaced because they were prone to failure (door handles, one window regulator and multiple sets of front wheel bearings). It all depended on the language that the service writer would enter into the warranty claim. For example, my power running boards were fully functional; however one side was EVER SO SLIGHTLY slower than the other. When I showed the service writer the issue, he had the slow one replaced by writing "excessive current draw on board motor". However, he told me that typically it would have to completely fail to have it covered by warranty if he had written it as "slower performance on running board fold up speed).

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

PS, one of my friends negotiated the wheel and tire warranty to $400. It covers all the wheels and tires, roadside assistance, etc. from ANY damage (potholes, curbs, etc.) for 5yrs/100k miles. With the crappy roads around here, one pothole is a $650 wheel and $300 tire plus labor. The chance of using that coverage in 100,000 miles MIGHT be greater than anticipated.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS, one of my friends negotiated the wheel and tire warranty to $400. It covers all the wheels and tires, roadside assistance, etc. from ANY damage (potholes, curbs, etc.) for 5yrs/100k miles. With the crappy roads around here, one pothole is a $650 wheel and $300 tire plus labor. The chance of using that coverage in 100,000 miles MIGHT be greater than anticipated.

I purchased the wheel and tire warranty as well. Also paid $400 for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700