Extended Warranty--Yea or Nea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonDenali15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to pick up a 2015 Denali and was just given some options for an extended warranty. I take excellent care of my vehicles, do not abuse them, and keep them for 10 years or so. I am also paying in full on delivery, so I own it outright from the start. That said, there are so many electrical components to these new vehicles that after the warranty expires in 3 years it may cost a ton to repair. Extended 7 year warranty for 70k or 7 years is $2,300. Yea or Nea, guys?

AWSMBLU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait til your 3 year warranty is almost up , then get the extended warranty!

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the details of the warranty? Is there a deductible/copay for each visit?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What most don't know is extended warranty prices are negotiable. I would tell them you will take it for $1500 and see what they say.

OP
OP
JasonDenali15

JasonDenali15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the details of the warranty? Is there a deductible/copay for each visit?

Reels, I did not see anything about copays/deductible. Good question! Thanks! I will find out.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

No deductible or co-pays. Thanks for the tip Joe regarding price. Just negotiated to $2,000. Still a bit high, I think...

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most expensive repair I ever had was $895 for front differential gear and bearings on a 2012.

Your power train I believe is 5/50,000.

Will you spend 2K in the remainder of the time? Probably not, that is what they bank on. Will it help you sleep better at night? If so, buy it. My 2 cents.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended warranty prices are not always negotiable. Some states - notably Florida - consider extended warranties to be an insurance policy and as such they must be sold at published rates (read - MSRP.)

That said - if you live in a state that doesn't restrict you, you can get a great deal from GMOUTLET.COM They sell the exact same GMPP warranty that your local dealer sells - for substantially less. I've used them twice and have been completely satisfied both times.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would if I was spending that kind of money. What's an extra 2 grand? And it would help me sleep at night.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would. It's also worth checking if the warranty is refundable if it is isn't used. That's how the warranty worked on my certified Acura when I bought it.

STAY IN IT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree that their actuaries know their numbers and in most cases you will not get your money out of the extended warranty in repairs, however in my mind it is relatively cheap insurance. The only extended warranties I buy are for my vehicles and I stay away from any non-factory administered plans.

Apparently the GMPP most of us are familiar with is actually no longer a GM plan, but owned by ALLY post-bankruptcy. GM has rolled out their own plan in the past 6 months starting on the east coast and it's still not available at all dealers. From the info. I have they are very similar plans. I plan on buying the new GM plan prior to 12 months/12k miles as I believe the price goes up a bit after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts