Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently fabricating a cheap exhaust for my 05 Tahoe, just a quick question about sizing. If I have a 2.5"id, would a 2.75"id connector fit over that without being super loose? What I'm thinking is since 2.5"id fits over a 2.5"od pipe, wouldn't that make it bigger and a very similar size to a 2.75"od, which would fit into a 2.75"id connector? Or am I getting it all wrong lol. Thanks

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your typical wall thickness for exhaust pipe fittings is roughly .062” (1/16”).

If you have a 2.5” ID the OD will be roughly 2.625”. You will likely need 2.75” OD sleeve along with your 2.75” ID fitting.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently fabricating a cheap exhaust for my 05 Tahoe, just a quick question about sizing. If I have a 2.5"id, would a 2.75"id connector fit over that without being super loose? What I'm thinking is since 2.5"id fits over a 2.5"od pipe, wouldn't that make it bigger and a very similar size to a 2.75"od, which would fit into a 2.75"id connector? Or am I getting it all wrong lol. Thanks

Are you welding it? I'd slip that 2.75" over the 2.5" and weld it. That .125" gap ain't nuttin' to fill and actually works out great if you have a wire-fed and have it set just right for the exhaust. It gives the puddle a slight bit of "breathing room" to not burn through the thin wall of the exhaust pipe so easily.

If you want it centered, a lot of washers are .125" thick. You can stick three in there to center the larger pipe over the smaller one. Or, hold it off the pipe and tack it before welding it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17