Ex Canadian 2017 GMC Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorCalDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SOLVED thanks to CMatt!

Hello all, I'm a fellow Yukon Denali owner and new forum member here. I just purchased a 2017 Yukon Denali in Edmonton, AB (where it was sold and delivered as new) and just imported it down to the states. After completing the trek and comparing it to my friends Denali...I noticed all the cluster and dash lighting is Chevy blue! There isn't standard GMC red back lighting to be found unfortunately.

Anyone know if this was a standard thing for Canadian built GMC's? Rig was fully certified with 24k miles and no damage history so I can confirm it wasn't installed aftermarket. Maybe there's another thread you could link me to but i'd love to find out the process to convert the cluster and back lighting to red.

Lastly, besides mats and tint, anyone have a top 1-5 things I should consider adding aftermarket? Was thinking air intake?

Thank you!!

IMG_6221.jpg IMG_6223.jpg

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold as "new" with 24k on the clock?

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Yukon.

Regarding the backlight color, it changed to the blue/green in 2017. Based on my understanding, you can swap some of the switches with a previous year model to gain the red backlighting. However, the radio screen and gauge cluster would either have to be reprogrammed or swapped out to gain the red lighting.

For mods, I like Escalade mirrors, lighted door handles and power assist steps on the exterior. Inside, I’d add the heads up display (if not already equipped), updated wireless charging module, OEM Kicker subwoofer and maybe all-weather floor mats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volvowith18psi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ima just throw this out there. Im very new to GM/Chevy so I dunno if this even apply's, however, I have owned multiple FCA products and have personnel experience that Canadian vehicles brought to the states warranty is VOID soon as its registered as there is no reciprocity.

But Im sure you know all of this because if this was the case, the dealer would have made you sign forms stating it.

OP
OP
NorCalDenali

NorCalDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Congrats on the Yukon.

Regarding the backlight color, it changed to the blue/green in 2017. Based on my understanding, you can swap some of the switches with a previous year model to gain the red backlighting. However, the radio screen and gauge cluster would either have to be reprogrammed or swapped out to gain the red lighting.

Really appreciate your knowledge on this one. For the record I love the blue, I just wanted to make sure that my Yukon was standard equipped upfront for an easier US resale down the road. Thanks again.

+1 on the updated charging mat and OEM Sub.

OP
OP
NorCalDenali

NorCalDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ima just throw this out there. Im very new to GM/Chevy so I dunno if this even apply's, however, I have owned multiple FCA products and have personnel experience that Canadian vehicles brought to the states warranty is VOID soon as its registered as there is no reciprocity.

But Im sure you know all of this because if this was the case, the dealer would have made you sign forms stating it.

Luckily this wasn't the case, but I did have to get a GM Canada compliance letter to bring her over the border. Fun fact: Canada does not require the lighted passenger airbag On/Off illumination, thus I had to add a $60 bulb to comply. US Customs specifically asked to see the service record and the bulb working!

omandave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Off Topic... but: NorCal... I am curious to your Import experience. would you be willing to share a new thread that walks a person thourgh your experience? forms, fees, taxes, letter from GM, etc I have been looking at a Canadian Avi with the 6.2 engine that was a Canadain thing only... thanks.

End thread Hijack...

SubSonic

Reaction score
Congrats on the Yukon.

For mods, I like Escalade mirrors, lighted door handles and power assist steps on the exterior. Inside, I’d add the heads up display (if not already equipped), updated wireless charging module, OEM Kicker subwoofer and maybe all-weather floor mats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for hijacking, but this is the first I've read of swapping for Escalade mirrors--do you have any pictures or details. I'm intrigued. I tried a search but came up with nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts