Engine swap '04 Tahoe 5.3 to 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some days it runs great, some days it runs like crap. And for some odd reason it'll sporadically just shut off as my gf is driving it. It'll just happen, doesn't give any hints that it's gonna shut off. Hasn't happened to me yet. No codes appear either.
I think its just a jealous beyotch. :happy107:

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been driving the Tahoe on and off for the last month. It's been a pleasure to drive and I think the 6.0 is substantial over the old worn 5.3, but I haven't yet decided if that is a placebo effect. I had the ECM bench tuned to enable the fans and adjust for cam & idle; proper dyno tune still on the docket once everything is sorted. I've done the first oil change ~500 miles and decided the Tahoe was fully 100% trustworthy and back to it's old reliable self. This week it just surpassed 700 miles on the new engine, but then this problem reared it's ugly head.

As I pulled into a parking spot at the store, I noticed a drip drip drip trail on the asphalt leading to the Tahoe. Sure enough, it was oil. Started it back up and the leak was pretty substantial so I had it towed home. I crawled under and saw it's coming from the back of the block, so I went after the obvious first, oil pressure sensor. With a mirror, I could see a little bit of oil present all around the pressure sensor. Grabbed the 1 1/16" deep socket to make sure the pressure sensor hadn't loosened up somehow, and snap. It must've been already compromised with how much oil was dripping to the ground. I barely cranked on it, to make sure it was snug and it snapped almost immediately. So the male half of the sensor is now stuck in the block, as can be seen in the mirror picture attached.

I guess the intake is going to have to come off to deal with this correctly. It sucks to do so much disassembly to get to it proper, but unless someone who's BTDT knows a trick with the intake in place, I've got a job ahead. Anyone else had this happen? Any and all pointers, suggestions etc appreciated. Thanks all.

oil0.JPGoil1.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d just suck it up and pull the intake. It’s hard enough to swap out the sensor with it in place, much less try to extract the broken one. You’ll want to be careful anyway since the consequences could be dire if you were to screw up the threads in the block.

Reaction score
Man what a bummer! I had the same thing happen to BOTH my knock sensors... Oof.. Got them out eventually and new ones in. Scenerio was identical to this. Eesh.
Curious on your tune and you're in Anaheim, I'm right in Orange... Smog is a real PITA here lol.
I put a very mild melling cam in my Tahoe about 5mo ago. CEL comes and goes. Cam is supposed to work with stock tune but every few weeks CEL will hang for a few days.
What'd you get done with the tune? Was it local? Smog legal?
I'm sure my truck just needs some very minor tuning to get idle dialed. Curious what you had done
New 5.3 going in my mom's blown up Yukon - starting this weekend. Thanks for info on this post. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans