Engine swap '04 Tahoe 5.3 to 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Recently, I picked up another big beefy piece of the puzzle for the Tahoe transformation, a 14B SF "AXN" rear axle from a crashed 06 Escalade 2wd that showed up locally. My original 10B rear axle is functional and quiet, but I figured why not...with the 6.0 swap and the factory spec-ing this axle for 2wd 6.0 applications, which my Tahoe is 98% of the time, except those rare times that I hit the 4wd button. Thankfully these axles only came in 3.73 gear ratio, which matches the Tahoe. Also managed to score the gauge cluster from the same Escalade and it shows ~180k miles. I popped the rear cover to have a look and check the magnet with that mileage, but everything looked really good inside. No limited-slop-gov-lock-bomb but that's okay.

Hopefully it's a straight bolt-in but that will be figured out once the engine is complete and the trans gets done. I didn't get the track bar, as they visually looked the same between the Tahoe and Escalade. Driveshaft I didn't bother with since the length was wrong, 2wd v 4wd. One minor difference I've already spotted is the drop down brake line difference. The Escalade axle has separate lines for each side and the Tahoe has a single drop line that splits side to side on the axle....shouldn't be too much of a hurdle though.

The only drivetrain piece that will be untouched is the transfer case. But that brings up a question, does the 1500 transfer case in an 04 Tahoe Z71 suffer from the same problem I've read about in the 2500HD transfer case....aka "pump rub?" If it does, how can it be checked for? Is there a thread with detailed info in the 1500 T-case?

View attachment 370843View attachment 370844
Good thing you're upgrading. Expensive? Mine just went. My Hoe was originally a 4.8--too many--very fun--burnouts.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it eventually happen to all 246 cases, or is it a "case by case" basis (pun intended)?
All 246 cases that dont have the pump rub plate installed will suffer the demise of the pinhole rubbed into the rear case half and slowly start spitting its fluid out until the case fails because of no lube. You will see when you open the case up that the pump has room to move back and forth rotationally in its seat and will wear through the buffers that are there supposedly to prevent the pinhole. Instead what happens is the buffers wear out and the pumps body starts wearing through the relatively soft magnesium case body and you end up with the pinhole that if allowed to go on long enough can get to about an 1/8" in diameter.

I always use the aftermarket chain when replacing the chain. The BK351 bearing kit has always done well for me.\

Here is a decent vid on the teardown and install of the pump rub fix plate.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the home stretch with this 6.0 swap.

Today I plan to replace the original 04 front clip wire harness that powers the headlights, turn signals, horns, washer pumps and all else, with a complete front clip wire harness that was removed from an 06 Yukon, so all necessary wiring & fuse/relay block for the electric fan swap will be there. I'll just need to swap computers or have mine reflashed since the original 04 ECU will not enable/power up the Electric fans.

Is it possible to just replace the ECU with one from an 05-06 Yukon or Escalade or will the built in security system not allow it to start & run due to it being in a different vehicle? I've checked locally to have my original ECU flashed and it's between $3-6 hundred bucks. I can source a take out 06 Yukon 6.0 ECU for under $100.

I've searched online and what I've read is inconclusive if swapping the ECU will work as intended or not. Thanks in advance.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the home stretch with this 6.0 swap.

Today I plan to replace the original 04 front clip wire harness that powers the headlights, turn signals, horns, washer pumps and all else, with a complete front clip wire harness that was removed from an 06 Yukon, so all necessary wiring & fuse/relay block for the electric fan swap will be there. I'll just need to swap computers or have mine reflashed since the original 04 ECU will not enable/power up the Electric fans.

Is it possible to just replace the ECU with one from an 05-06 Yukon or Escalade or will the built in security system not allow it to start & run due to it being in a different vehicle? I've checked locally to have my original ECU flashed and it's between $3-6 hundred bucks. I can source a take out 06 Yukon 6.0 ECU for under $100.

I've searched online and what I've read is inconclusive if swapping the ECU will work as intended or not. Thanks in advance.

It'll have to be flashed to your VIN. If it were me, I'd find someone, not a business, with HP Tuners or EFI Live to tune your existing PCM. They can load a 6.0 tune file and turn the fans on and turn on/off a bunch of other stuff just by clicking on boxes. If no actual tuning labor is required, they might hook you up for the cost of the credits ($100) plus a small labor fee, case/handle of beer/liquor, mow their yard, etc.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is not flashed to my VIN, what happens? That's what I've been wondering about. I'm in Anaheim, CA.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is not flashed to my VIN, what happens? That's what I've been wondering about. I'm in Anaheim, CA.

VATS, alone, would keep it from starting. Or, it might start and immediately shut off. The PCM communicates with other modules, most importantly the BCM and they all share the VIN. It's like they're in a monogamous relationship and the VIN is the last name. You can introduce a new PCM that looks the same and fits, but it has a different name so the rest of the modules, being faithful, will politely tell it to eff off.

Ugh- CA. That explains why shops are quoting you nearly the cost of a full tune for just a segment swap. But, if they'll be doing any clean-up and tweaking (PE tables, spark tuning, etc.), then $300-$600 isn't out of line, depending on their expertise and amount of fine-tuning they do.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VATS, alone, would keep it from starting. Or, it might start and immediately shut off.

Ugh- CA. That explains why shops are quoting you nearly the cost of a full tune for just a segment swap. But, if they'll be doing any clean-up and tweaking (PE tables, spark tuning, etc.), then $300-$600 isn't out of line, depending on their expertise and amount of fine-tuning they do.
Ok thanks for clarifying. If it was going to run but just not pass smog, or have some strange code that is nothing to worry about driveability wise, I could live with that. Thankfully I have it registered in a county that does not require smog checks. Having a home there has it's side benefits.

I really was hoping I could just drop an 05-06 Escalade or Denali computer in there and call it done,,,,,, for the time being so it would be driveable without having to visit a programmer first. Reason being, right now I'm just trying to get it driveable but there are other modifications and changes I'm likely to do over the next 3-6 months, intake swap, headers, who knows what else? Once I have the final product in place and everything is settled as far as the build, then I will visit the dyno guy for final final. I'm trying to just go to him once.