Engine Revving in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could probably pull the air intake off the throttle body and take a look at the butterfly and see if it is stuck open or something, should be closed with engine off

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it is revving up on it's own with no pedal applied you can pretty much bet money on the throttle body or pedal sensor but less likely.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the dip stick, and oil was low, so last night I added two quarts just the same as I usually do.
This is a very concerning statement.

You should not be running that low on oil on a regular basis. That's how you blow up your engine prematurely.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. After checking the dipstick, it looks like the oil is way over filled (well above the five dots on the dip stick). Hopefully just draining and changing the oil will be the fix.
That shouldn’t be any issue at all. You can safely run a quart or more over without any problems.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Finally got it into a shop, and it was spitting out a ton of codes. One mechanic had the idea to take off the mass airflow sensor (or some part of that system), and suddenly the revving while idle seemed to stop. They're going to start with replacing that sensor in the morning. My fingers are crossed that that's the only issue and nothing more serious. We'll see.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very concerning statement.

You should not be running that low on oil on a regular basis. That's how you blow up your engine prematurely.
Yeah thinking back on it now, I don't think I've ever added 2 quarts at the same time, so that was likely overkill. I've definitely had moments where it needed a top off before completely changing the oil though.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Finally got it into a shop, and it was spitting out a ton of codes. One mechanic had the idea to take off the mass airflow sensor (or some part of that system), and suddenly the revving while idle seemed to stop. They're going to start with replacing that sensor in the morning. My fingers are crossed that that's the only issue and nothing more serious. We'll see.
i doubt it is the maf, when it is unplugged that puts everything else in default because it can't tell how much air is going thru the intake.
but not impossible i guess, that would be a really weird one I have seen them cause all kinds of other problems but not engine revving. the shop should be able to test the maf.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have much faith in a mechanic that diagnoses a problem by unplugging something, seeing a change, and deciding to replace that part because of that. Ask for the codes at the very least so we can help you gain an understanding of what might be going on. It’s good for you to be educated on what the possibilities could be so you can make educated decisions. Don’t just take the word of someone trying to make money off a customer who doesn’t know better. You have a lot of knowledge here available for free.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have much faith in a mechanic that diagnoses a problem by unplugging something, seeing a change, and deciding to replace that part because of that. Ask for the codes at the very least so we can help you gain an understanding of what might be going on. It’s good for you to be educated on what the possibilities could be so you can make educated decisions. Don’t just take the word of someone trying to make money off a customer who doesn’t know better. You have a lot of knowledge here available for free.
Great advice, and thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to ask for the list of codes tomorrow. I appreciate all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts