Engine noise again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tazjamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after my 6.2l motor decided to lose part of its ring in a cylinder i had to rebuild the motor. Now after 4 weeks of working on it well like 2 weeks at the machine shop and 2 weeks for me i finally have her running but i have a tapping noise on the passenger side now everything is new except for the rockers and push rods could it be those that are bad? I also have lower oil pressure now then before could that be because i have synthetic in where before was standard oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

faa3282430a5c44d24340197c8a4fff4.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

e7c7d1e34ba4bef9967d577ea847dc7c.jpg

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
explain the tapping noise more is the tapping consistant with RPMs?
is it a tapping or more of a slapping or clattering
synthetic would not cause that
the only thing synthetic causes is if you had a hi mileage engine and switched from regular to synthetic itll expose any leaks you mite have since synthetic motor oil molecules are actually smaller then regular oils

OP
OP
tazjamin

tazjamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tapping noise is probably more like a lifter tap but its much louder than before I rebuilt the motor

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

The synthetic oil i was only thinking could that make my pressure gauge read lower than normal?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The oil pressure should be the same with either oil. I would have replaced the rockers and push rods since you did everything else. You did do the lifters, correct? Did you replace the oil pump and the sender?

OP
OP
tazjamin

tazjamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New oil pump new oil sensor and what exactly do you mean lifters correct?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lifters/tappets, potato/pototo, tomato/tomoto. It is what rides on the cam lobes and pushes the push rods up to rock the rocker. The valve spring creates the opposite pressure. You did the "whole" engine rebuild and don't know what a lifter is? What I meant by lifters, correct is that I m assuming you replaced them. Hence the question mark. "?" It makes no sense to me to replace the lifters, since you said all was new except the rockers and pushrods, and not replace the rockers and pushrods. But hell, I can spend other people's money rather easily.

OP
OP
tazjamin

tazjamin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifters are brand new rockers and pushrods are old the machine shop said the rockers and pushrods are good no need to replace so I didn't i know what lifters are but the way you said it was like were the installed correctly which the are only 2 ways to install them since you have a guide that only lets them fit a certain way thats why i asked what you mean by correct just in cases i missed something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr