Empty the tank with fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franky996

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 Yukon. Engine and transmission are out of the truck. I need to empty the fuel tank and want to use the fuel pump to do that. is there a fuse in the fuse box for the fuel pump , where I can put 12v to it and just run the pump and drain the tank with it?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 Yukon. Engine and transmission are out of the truck. I need to empty the fuel tank and want to use the fuel pump to do that. is there a fuse in the fuse box for the fuel pump , where I can put 12v to it and just run the pump and drain the tank with it?
Just pull the filler hose for access and either siphon it or use a hand pump. I’ve siphoned mine a couple times, easy.

OP
OP
F

franky996

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The whole point of it is to not do that but use the fuel pump to do it. The fuel lines are disconnected, no engine in the engine bay.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole point of it is to not do that but use the fuel pump to do it. The fuel lines are disconnected, no engine in the engine bay.
I know what you’re trying to accomplish but I don’t understand why you don’t want to do it the easy way. Do you know how long it takes for you to go through a tank of gas when you’re driving? It’s not gonna be much faster to pump that much gas when the lines are disconnected. It’s not a high volume pump, it’s gonna take a long time. Also keep in mind that fuel is actually used to cool the pump and it’s possible you will damage it by running it until it’s empty. It’s always been advised to not run your tank empty because it will destroy your fuel pump, plus you’ll be sucking all the crap at the bottom of your tank through. Think this through. Do you really want to take all day running your fuel pump and probably ruin it, or stick a length of old garden hose in it and siphon it out in minutes.

Last edited:

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I’ve done it before in a shop, on a hoist, on vehicles where the fuel tank needs to tilt at an angle that made it unable to be supported by a platform jack and we couldn’t get a hose in to siphon.

It’s a hazardous to do, 2 man job, because you are going to be spraying fuel hard enough to hit something 20 or more feet away. Because of that I’ve only done it with a line disconnected under the car, adapter on a hose, someone holding said hose, and commanding the fuel pump with a tech2. If you do it with a jumper wire, it will arc when you connect and disconnect power - so if anything goes wrong, you make a mess of gas, and then a spark to stop it.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or better yet, stop at the hardware store and get a 15 foot piece of clear 1/2 or 5/8 od tubing. You wont get a mouthful of gas and you will use it again. Long works better because the siphon effect can start/ restart from whats in the hose on the ground. Just kink it when can near full.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC my '04 had a (removable, I think,) screen right where the fill tube connected to the tank, so if yours has that a siphon hose won't get farther in. But you can still get quite a bit of gas out using the siphon method.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Check your owner's manual for where the fuse might be. I am set up to use a Tech-2 to turn the pump on and off.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine depending what wires you cut or still have. Connecting the battery back to the fuse box and turning the key would tell the fuel pump to turn on

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC my '04 had a (removable, I think,) screen right where the fill tube connected to the tank, so if yours has that a siphon hose won't get farther in. But you can still get quite a bit of gas out using the siphon method.
My 02 has nothing there and I haven’t heard of that. Why would there be a screen there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan