Electric Fan swap causing problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fans draw serious power. You have to run relays under the hood, to power the fans. And the hot wire that is being fed to the contacts of those relays has to come directly from the battery, or alternator (preferably with a big fuse in-line). Learnings from having done this conversion on a truck: 1) You need a high output alternator, 2) You likely may need a smaller pulley on your high output alternator, 3) You can't start both fans on high at once, the voltage will dip badly. Low speed first, delay, then high speed.
that is why i suggest a smoothing capacitor inline with the fans, the voltage will not dip at all.. or get alternator from a rig that has electrical fans

Flash1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I recently acquired a 2000 Tahoe the previous owner was in the middle of swapping out the motor driven radiator fan for dual electronic fans from a newer model silverado. I was helping in the swap as the vehicle became mine midway thorough the conversion. At first you would need to plug the fans in under the hood after starting the car and unplug after turning it off. We finally got around to wiring them up to a toggle switch however when doing so we wired one connection to an ignition fuse under the steering wheel. After wiring everything up we took it on a test drive and after a few minutes on the road the gauge cluster cut off it was receiving no power but the truck was still running. After we brought it back we unplugged the wire from the fuse, which was still intact. But now it will not start and we can not figure out why when you turn the key it does not even try to turn over there is no signal getting to the engine telling it to start has anyone had a problem like this doesnt have to be the same cause as mine but if you have had electrical problems that sounded like this I would love to hear how you went about figuring out what the problem was or how it got fixed please it is very urgent Im about to start work and need a vehicle we spent forever getting the transmission back in working order only for this to happen and it has us scratching our heads we dont even know where to start
I swapped out my dual electric back to belt drive fan clutch system due to power supply reliability issues. Randomly blowing the power supply to the fan in pretty dangerous to overheating, particularly in the normal 118 F days out here in the summer. I choose reliability.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped out my dual electric back to belt drive fan clutch system due to power supply reliability issues. Randomly blowing the power supply to the fan in pretty dangerous to overheating, particularly in the normal 118 F days out here in the summer. I choose reliability.
What were you using for a fan harness? The aftermarket ones tend to melt the wires or relay packs. I finally bought an OEM harness off a wrecked truck from @ScottyBoy who cleans them up and relooms them. No more issues.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were you using for a fan harness? The aftermarket ones tend to melt the wires or relay packs. I finally bought an OEM harness off a wrecked truck from @ScottyBoy who cleans them up and relooms them. No more issues.
I build my own stuff for the most part. Didnt need to do fans since mine is factory efan. But, on my old 1995 f150 there is a headlight kit to take the full load off of the headlight switch and move it to a relay pack. With the advanced age of these older trucks the voltage drop is measurable at the headlight sockets. Mine was bad enough that the left light was getting 10v running and right was 11v when the charging volts were 14.5

Different places use anywhere from 14 to 18 gauge wire and your typical cheap relays ( one for lows and one for highs). Looked one over and built my own. Used 10 gauge wire and 4 relays one for each low beam and one for each high. Overkill? Maybe but i dont have issues with melting either.

Flash1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I recently acquired a 2000 Tahoe the previous owner was in the middle of swapping out the motor driven radiator fan for dual electronic fans from a newer model silverado. I was helping in the swap as the vehicle became mine midway thorough the conversion. At first you would need to plug the fans in under the hood after starting the car and unplug after turning it off. We finally got around to wiring them up to a toggle switch however when doing so we wired one connection to an ignition fuse under the steering wheel. After wiring everything up we took it on a test drive and after a few minutes on the road the gauge cluster cut off it was receiving no power but the truck was still running. After we brought it back we unplugged the wire from the fuse, which was still intact. But now it will not start and we can not figure out why when you turn the key it does not even try to turn over there is no signal getting to the engine telling it to start has anyone had a problem like this doesnt have to be the same cause as mine but if you have had electrical problems that sounded like this I would love to hear how you went about figuring out what the problem was or how it got fixed please it is very urgent Im about to start work and need a vehicle we spent forever getting the transmission back in working order only for this to happen and it has us scratching our heads we dont even know where to start
I switched to electric fans on my 2003 6.0 Yukon, but swapped back due to unreliable power supply relay issues. It just was not worth the risk. The system I had used a single power supply relay for two fans. A better system would have independent power systems for each fan, that way if power failed on one, you at least had a back-up. For this reason, I never converted to an electric fan system on my 2000 5.3 Tahoe. I changed out radiators for both to (4) row systems, and added 10,000 GVW tranny coolers. Towing up to Lake Havasu or Big Bear is either very hot (120 +) or very steep (12% grade @ 5000 ft +) so extra cooling is a must.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got tired of trying different options and bought a controller from Auto Cool Guy (www.autocoolguy.com). I haven't had a problem for a long time. A little bit of cost for piece of mind.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just use an OEM fan harness with the relay/fuse assembly from a wrecking yard or EBay and be done with it. Then you have the exact same setup as the newer trucks have. I had nothing but trouble with a harness and relay setup I bought from LS1fans.com , melted it then rebuilt it with heavier wire and 80 amp relay blocks and it started showing signs of overheating again. Put the OEM one in and voila. I bought mine from a member here @ScottyBoy, not sure if he’s still selling them.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use an OEM fan harness with the relay/fuse assembly from a wrecking yard or EBay and be done with it. Then you have the exact same setup as the newer trucks have. I had nothing but trouble with a harness and relay setup I bought from LS1fans.com , melted it then rebuilt it with heavier wire and 80 amp relay blocks and it started showing signs of overheating again. Put the OEM one in and voila. I bought mine from a member here @ScottyBoy, not sure if he’s still selling them.
I've known a few people who had issues with the harnesses from LS1fans, and heard about countless others who had issues. For some reason, those harnesses just can't seem to handle the max current draw that these fans will pull, and they end up melting the wiring, the relays, or both. And yes, I still sell refurbished OEM harnesses, I currently have two of them in stock at the moment I'm typing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2