E fan conversion question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to perform the E fan conversion on my 2000 NBS yukon.

I have read, read again, and then reread LoL the thread in the tech info category and I have some questions.

1. Do I need to do anything with my current radiator? I've read that I possibly need the larger 34" one but I am not sure and I didnt see anything saying I for certain need it.

2. What is the exact difference between the wiring/PCM configuration between the 00-02 years and 03-05? Is it just grabbing the AC trigger from a different location or is there something else as well?

3. I think I will be getting the dorman 602-653 fan assembly instead of the 654 one. Talked to dorman today and the 654 is for heavy duty cooling which I dont need nor do I want the extra amp draw associated with the higher flow fans

4. If the PCM configuration is different, then I have an idea for you guys that I might incorporate into my yukon to make the setup more like the later 03 and up style

Any input is appreciated :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you need the 34" radiator for this conversion.
Its been a while, but I want to say there is an extra relay to change polarity.
The heavier duty fans use higher amps because there are more blades. GM did this because it makes the fans quieter. They will both work, the 05-06/07classic part # is superceded by the 07-13 part number.
There are a few threads out there of people doing it different ways.

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I will have to measure to see if I have the 34" radiator.

So the fans. Am I wanting the 602-654 model then? I'm all for quieter/more efficient operation.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
either one will work. I don't know the part number off hand. There is one for the 05-06, and one for the 07-13. The 05-06 has fewer blades and is IIRC 25amps, but they are longer. The 07-13 has more blades and they are shorter to be quieter, and IIRC 30amps.

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

I view this forum on tapatalk on my phone and for some reason certain things dont load up right.
I saw ur comments in the e fans thread in the tech info forum but I wasn't able to see them earlier.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy can help and hopefully will chime in. The 00-02 need a relay to change polarity on the trigger from the pcm and don’t have as much control as the 03-05 due to limitations of the pcm and there isn’t anything you can do about that. It still works fine. I highly recommend an OEM harness as opposed to aftermarket due to melting problems with the aftermarket ones. I have been through that. Scotty might be able to hook you up with one.

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can tho.

I am going to add a pressure switch to the AC system to cycle the fan on/off by pressure as well as the AC trigger. If my plan goes right, i will get a switch that at 250psi will close and bring the fan on. Fan will stay on until the pressure drops below 200psi and then will cycle off. Most all cars either bring on low speed all the time or cycle the fans via high side pressure. (Ours are single high speed)

This is mainly for winter time operation (Compressor is used in defrost/defog) as you dont really need the fan running plus all the cold air going thru the rad while moving will probably keep the pressures below 250 thereby making the fan not needed to run.

Also, who knows, this could pose some savings just like the 03 and up trucks. When you're going down the highway at 60mph, loads of air flowing thru the rad, AC not on full blast anymore and the cabin is comfortable, I am betting that the high side will drop and the fan could be switched off.

Just my thought process :)

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can tho.

I am going to add a pressure switch to the AC system to cycle the fan on/off by pressure as well as the AC trigger. If my plan goes right, i will get a switch that at 250psi will close and bring the fan on. Fan will stay on until the pressure drops below 200psi and then will cycle off. Most all cars either bring on low speed all the time or cycle the fans via high side pressure. (Ours are single high speed)

This is mainly for winter time operation (Compressor is used in defrost/defog) as you dont really need the fan running plus all the cold air going thru the rad while moving will probably keep the pressures below 250 thereby making the fan not needed to run.

Also, who knows, this could pose some savings just like the 03 and up trucks. When you're going down the highway at 60mph, loads of air flowing thru the rad, AC not on full blast anymore and the cabin is comfortable, I am betting that the high side will drop and the fan could be switched off.

Just my thought process :)

There's a thread here where a member recently did or at least started this, but I want to say they used the smaller radiator and LS1 fans.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put fans on my 02 Tahoe and I used a flexalite fan controller. They are 84 dollars iirc. You can find the fans in the junk yard for cheap as I have always done and have never paid more than 50 bucks for them. With the flexalit controller there is no need to add any switches. As for fans off when using defrost in the winter the flexalite does not cover this but I always just push the button on the panel to turn it off so no need and the fans don't run because the controller ties into the green compressor trigger wire

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum