Dual Battery Setup using OEM parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedenalitraveler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup! I'm planning to take on this project for my 2016 GMC Yukon Denali and I wanted to ask what battery you all used. I realized that my primary battery in the truck is a H7, and it looks like the Aux tray can only fit a H6 (I'm not sure if the part number provided earlier changes the size of the battery it can handle as well. Please let me know!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup! I'm planning to take on this project for my 2016 GMC Yukon Denali and I wanted to ask what battery you all used. I realized that my primary battery in the truck is a H7, and it looks like the Aux tray can only fit a H6 (I'm not sure if the part number provided earlier changes the size of the battery it can handle as well. Please let me know!
both batteries should match, same make/type and they should be the same age, using a older battery and new one is not advisable
if yours is a H7 then the spare tray should hold one as well, they haven't changed the battery holder design in a long time, they have changed from side post to top post and the main battery positive fuse design has changed a couple times but that won't matter on the 2nd battery

thedenalitraveler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree that both batteries should match, in my 2008 Yukon, I used 2 H6 batteries connected in parallel - and that was fine. The issue here is that for some reason in the 2016 Yukon, the main battery is a H7, but the aux tray fits a H6 only (an H7 wouldn't fit, it is too wide for the tray).

In your trucks, did the main battery come as a H6 or a H7?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that both batteries should match, in my 2008 Yukon, I used 2 H6 batteries connected in parallel - and that was fine. The issue here is that for some reason in the 2016 Yukon, the main battery is a H7, but the aux tray fits a H6 only (an H7 wouldn't fit, it is too wide for the tray).

In your trucks, did the main battery come as a H6 or a H7?
I only have the dual setup in the 2012 which are h6, the 18 is a h7 they have k2xx ppv suv's and pickup's so there must be a different tray then if this is the case or modify the tray so it will fit the battery, the rubber hold down is the same part since like waaaay back

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked on rockauto they only have the right side, what you may need is the last 8 of the vin for a k2xx ppv, then you can call the dealer parts department and inquire about the left side battery tray part number

thedenalitraveler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually did some research here, it seems like the PPV's run mixed batteries in the newer models. I pulled the specifications from GM for the 2022 PPV's and it seems like they run a H7 primary with a H6 Auxiliary.

• 900 cold-cranking amps primary battery
  • 760 cold-cranking amps auxiliary battery with 70-amp hour rating
The battery tray is part 22989633 (which is the same for your truck too). The question here is how the PPV's can run a mixed set of batteries without draining down the primary battery, or causing overcharging to occur. I can think that the only way they do this is through a battery isolator of some sort. Any thoughts?

Most of my electronics are running on the main circuit, which leads to my desire to run parallel batteries without the isolator - as my understanding is, if I used a battery isolator, I would need to wire a specifically separate circuit from the aux battery - otherwise if I run them from the main circuit in the car, it would draw on the main battery only, and not from the Aux battery with the engine off. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually did some research here, it seems like the PPV's run mixed batteries in the newer models. I pulled the specifications from GM for the 2022 PPV's and it seems like they run a H7 primary with a H6 Auxiliary.

The battery tray is part 22989633 (which is the same for your truck too). The question here is how the PPV's can run a mixed set of batteries without draining down the primary battery, or causing overcharging to occur. I can think that the only way they do this is through a battery isolator of some sort. Any thoughts?

Most of my electronics are running on the main circuit, which leads to my desire to run parallel batteries without the isolator - as my understanding is, if I used a battery isolator, I would need to wire a specifically separate circuit from the aux battery - otherwise if I run them from the main circuit in the car, it would draw on the main battery only, and not from the Aux battery with the engine off. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks in advance!
@Chickensandwich how is your PPV setup for batteries? On both thecopcar and theothertwin, gmt900s, the batteries were identical H6s. For thecopcar the were not isolated at all. in theothertwin the had an isolation relay, but it had been bypassed at some point after delivery.

thedenalitraveler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Chickensandwich how is your PPV setup for batteries? On both thecopcar and theothertwin, gmt900s, the batteries were identical H6s. For thecopcar the were not isolated at all. in theothertwin the had an isolation relay, but it had been bypassed at some point after delivery.
On my GMT900 Yukon (a 2008 Denali), they were dual H6's - so I installed them without isolation and it works fine. I'd be curious to see how the new K2xx PPV's are set up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I haven't seen the setup for 2 batteries on the k2's, there are isolator's that will automatically draw on the 2nd battery if the 1st becomes to low
the gm upfitter guide may have detailed information on that

OP
OP
T

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is what I used for the Aux battery.

In my 2020 Tahoe, the starting battery is an H7, but the Aux is an H6. An H7 won't fit in the Aux battery tray.

The batteries don't need to match if you're running a VSR, the VSR only sends power from the alternator to charge the Aux battery when the starting battery is above a certain voltage. And keep in mind that with this setup, the Aux battery doesn't help start the vehicle, only provide power to the accessories you have hooked up to it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts