Dual Battery Setup using OEM parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is not my pic, but the parts circled were replaced by the Keyline VSR.

Attachments

• silverado-drawing-5.jpg
    silverado-drawing-5.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 82

Denali Brad

Reaction score
A couple of questions for you if you are still around. Lookin at doing pretty much the same thing. When using the Keyline VSR, was the rest of the wiring in the loom (other than the the positive cable) not used? It appears the VSR only needs a ground connection? My intended use is a backup battery in extremely cold situations, and I was also thinking of using the Cole Hersee 200A Isolator to be able to connect the two batteries together via a switch when needed. Thoughts?

OP
OP
T

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A couple of questions for you if you are still around. Lookin at doing pretty much the same thing. When using the Keyline VSR, was the rest of the wiring in the loom (other than the the positive cable) not used? It appears the VSR only needs a ground connection? My intended use is a backup battery in extremely cold situations, and I was also thinking of using the Cole Hersee 200A Isolator to be able to connect the two batteries together via a switch when needed. Thoughts?
If you buy the OEM setup from GM, both positive wires are in the same loom, you'll end up not using your stock positive battery cable. It would be nice if you could just buy the longer cable that goes to the aux battery by itself, but you can't. The VSR just hooks inline with the positive cable running to the aux battery, you basically just use the VSR instead of the relay, and yes, other than that, the VSR just needs a ground connection. There is a ground connection on the firewall that I used. One thing to think about though, I don't think the VSR allows reverse flow back the the starting battery. So, to use the aux battery as a backup, you would need to hook it to the starting battery via some jumper cables. In my case, I'm using the aux battery for a winch, so I don't care about backing up the starting battery. I carry a Jump Pak in case I ever get stuck with a dead starting battery.

Bubbaduss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you tie down the battery? I picked up a battery tie down block at advanced... But the aux battery tray has no theaded holes. On the one side I "could" run the bolt through, but tightening that up would be a PITA. And technically you need a clamp on the opposite side... Did you guys drill and tap the plate?

OP
OP
T

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you tie down the battery? I picked up a battery tie down block at advanced... But the aux battery tray has no theaded holes. On the one side I "could" run the bolt through, but tightening that up would be a PITA. And technically you need a clamp on the opposite side... Did you guys drill and tap the plate?
You have to replace the existing tray with part # 23231841. The existing tray isn't designed to hold a battery.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you buy the OEM setup from GM, both positive wires are in the same loom, you'll end up not using your stock positive battery cable. It would be nice if you could just buy the longer cable that goes to the aux battery by itself, but you can't. The VSR just hooks inline with the positive cable running to the aux battery, you basically just use the VSR instead of the relay, and yes, other than that, the VSR just needs a ground connection. There is a ground connection on the firewall that I used. One thing to think about though, I don't think the VSR allows reverse flow back the the starting battery. So, to use the aux battery as a backup, you would need to hook it to the starting battery via some jumper cables. In my case, I'm using the aux battery for a winch, so I don't care about backing up the starting battery. I carry a Jump Pak in case I ever get stuck with a dead starting battery.
Do you happen to have the GM part number(s)?

Bubbaduss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have to replace the existing tray with part # 23231841. The existing tray isn't designed to hold a battery.
My tray is exactly that #... I had to install the battery hold down block before putting the tray back in as there didn't appear to be any threaded receiving point...

I have questions regarding the battery side of things.

What did you change on this box? If anything
2022-07-18 18.06.18.jpg
2022-07-18 18.06.11.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium