Dropping Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the roof rack but left the threads, so that way if I need it always bolts back on, I still haven't found something to plug the holes up there though, during windy days or 80+ mph speeds they whistle a little. I really want to ditch the factory running boards but the ones I want are $1000 and that's not just sitting around in my pocket. And the wife needs them to get in

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spare tire ditch you ask,.... Triple Freaking A man.. and a tire inflation system.. done and done.. is your weight loss goal for better MPG.. if so then why not lower and for some performance tuning to better the fuel economy.. as most of your drag comes from under the car and that eats gas.. adding a front chin spoiler or the hybrid front bumper would not hurt your situation as it is a few inches lower to the ground than the stock bumper...

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally respect the notion, there are no drawbacks to trying to make a vehicle lighter(except the creature comforts you loss in the process) but you have to think of weight percentage. It is a 5,800 pound beast, you need to lose a large percentage to make a difference, say 5-10%. Even at 5% you'd need to lose 240lbs....that's a lot of stuff.

I did look into it because I found out the Tahoe Hybrid has an aluminum hood, the problem is that the whole front clip is different too.

My plan is to run without the 3rd row when not needed (those two little seats weigh about 60lbs each) and get some low resistance tires when new ones are needed. Other than that I rarely fill the tank completely and I try to keep her in 4cyl mode as much as possible. Even with all that I'm getting only 15mpg. I didn't buy her to be effiecient, I bought her to tow and hold a bunch of people and be comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed