Drilling a hole for cable gland in firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I previously used the factory gland on the driver side of the firewall. That was a NIGHTMARE. I'm thinking I need to drill a new hole for my new wideband O2 setup. My first thought would be to drill where the slave cylinder would be if I had a manual transmission...

Any thoughts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I previously used the factory gland on the driver side of the firewall. That was a NIGHTMARE. I'm thinking I need to drill a new hole for my new wideband O2 setup. My first thought would be to drill where the slave cylinder would be if I had a manual transmission...

Any thoughts?

How big is the cable? It it [mostly] round? Does it have a plug on the end that would require a hole much larger than the cable itself?

When I ran a wire to my exhaust cutout, I used a two-conductor wire with a heavy jacket. It's about 1/4" around. I poked a hole about half the size of the wire in the grommet in the floor pan (I don't remember if it was for the parking brake cable or transmission harness or what) and pushed the wire through that. There's a channel in the floor pan for the wire (or brake cable?) to run flush under the carpet. I ran the wire alongside that, all the way to the firewall, then up under the dash and to the switch next to the headlight knob. The wire was a tight fit through the hole in the rubber grommet so it is self-sealing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got a connector on the end. I rand several cables through my factory grommet. Made a mess. The one I think you're speaking of is for the parking brake. I'd kind of like a location where I can expand and add more cables if necessary in the future.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards just cutting a hole where rod for master cylinder would be for clutch pedal would be if was a manual. Then if I need to redo my CB radio, roof light, etc I can just work with that gland instead of poking holes in the factory one...

Anybody know what cable glad is good? I've seen these before, a guy used it on his roof for a roof light.

Link to Seaview Gland

Only thing is, it seems a bit overkill for under engine.