Door Lock Knob replacement driver door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talkyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi forum,

The door lock knob on my 2004 yukon denali is jamming up and not unlocking when I use the remote unlock.
I ordered a replacement lock knob for it but I am just kinda worried about the installation.

I can not get the old door lock knob out of the door. Does anyone know if I force it out will it damage the door panel?
What would be the best way to install a new door lock knob?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This lock knob?

lock front.jpg

They just pry off, either from the front or the rear end. Behind the flange one end will have a somewhat flexible piece of plastic that is held under tension, and the other end will have one or more hooks:

lock backside.jpg

I don't recall which is the correct end to pry on but I would recommend using a plastic trim tool. Try from one end to pop it out and, if that's very difficult switch to the other end.

The hole in the back side of the knob is supposed to go around (capture) a heavy wire rod that connects to the door latch, horizontally. There are at least two clips on the inner door that the rod is captured by and slides front to back to guide the rod as it runs along the door.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This lock knob?

View attachment 392411

They just pry off, either from the front or the rear end. Behind the flange one end will have a somewhat flexible piece of plastic that is held under tension, and the other end will have one or more hooks:

View attachment 392412

I don't recall which is the correct end to pry on but I would recommend using a plastic trim tool. Try from one end to pop it out and, if that's very difficult switch to the other end.

The hole in the back side of the knob is supposed to go around (capture) a heavy wire rod that connects to the door latch, horizontally. There are at least two clips on the inner door that the rod is captured by and slides front to back to guide the rod as it runs along the door.

View attachment 392414

View attachment 392415
That is an excellent write-up/instruction post! Thanks for documenting @Fless

OP
OP
T

talkyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes that is the lock knob I got here to replace the oem one.

I am kind of scared of damaging the door panel but I will try to pry it off later on when it stops snowing.

Thanks for the write up! I appreciate it!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the lock be worked without jamming with the button removed (moving inside lever by hand)?
Does it operate OK using the fob to lock/unlock?

If it jams in either of those two ways, maybe you do have an issue with the connector or door latch.
Spray the moving parts and door latch with some brake/parts cleaner. Get the inside of the door latch good and clean.
Maybe there is dirt and junk inside the latch, causing it to bind up on you.

Some white lithium grease on the moving parts (including where the connector rod slides and the ends of the rod where the button attaches and the end that pivots).
Wouldn't hurt to make sure things are clean and well lubed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this ^^^ that little plastic thing is not jamming up your door lock, the door panel needs to be removed and lube all the moving parts where they slide in the plastic holders.
it could also be the lock is getting tired or has a poor electrical connection it is 20 years old after all.
plenty of youtube videos on how to remove the door panel only takes a couple minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907