Door lock key fobs only work when standing next to vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellow1053

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2004 Tahoe whose two key fobs will only lock or unlock (or panic) when standing pretty close to vehicle. I have replaced both batteries, and it happens with both fobs. Someone told me it could be the Antenna that receives that signal in the truck could have a break in it's wire. Can anyone tell me where this is?
Curious if this is a common issue.
Thanks!
Jim.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is pretty close? 1m, 5m, 10m?
I guess when i have free sight my range is propably max. 5m. I don't think that my truck is very different from other, most German, cars i owned before.

OP
OP
Y

yellow1053

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is pretty close? 1m, 5m, 10m?
I guess when i have free sight my range is propably max. 5m. I don't think that my truck is very different from other, most German, cars i owned before.
I have been ten feet away and it won't work. so closer than that it usually will.
thanks.
Jim.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested it on my truck yesterday.

When I stand from behind at a 45° angle to the driver's side, my key fob has a working distance of about 30 feet.

But I have a friend who also drives a GMT 800 Escalade and he was having problems with his key fob for a long time and we were looking for the problem.

We found out his problem was this: He got an NFC tag from his gym and was able to log in, and that NFC tag interfered with radio reception on his transmitter for his Escalade because he had it on the same keychain.

Of course, depending on where you tried this, other radio radiation may be interfering with your key system.

Unfortunately, GM used a radio frequency range at the time that was widely used and therefore very susceptible to interference.

You should probably do this outside where there are no buildings and even put your phone away to check for interference from other signals.

Another thing may be: Do you have film for tinting on your windows that interferes with the signal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar