Door Handle Locks Work when They Want to...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Day

Reaction score
my 2017 Yukon XL SLT has door lock/unlock on the handles. Recently the drivers handle and the drivers side rear handle only unlock when they want to (intermittently). My fob and both r/side handles work fine? Has anyone had this issue? What was the fix?IMG_0458.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would speculate possibly the fob battery is low?, not dead obviously but maybe low, try changing the battery and see if it makes any difference.
if that's not it, maybe try some contact cleaner around the button on the door handle

OP
OP
John Day

John Day

Reaction score
I would speculate possibly the fob battery is low?, not dead obviously but maybe low, try changing the battery and see if it makes any difference.
if that's not it, maybe try some contact cleaner around the button on the door handle
I replaced the battery 2 different times with 2 different battery manufacturers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will this contact cleaner damage my paint/clear coat?View attachment 366497View attachment 366498
hard to say, maybe take it by the dealer instead, there are relay's that operate the locks they used to have 1 for each door then they switched it to 1 for the front doors and 1 for the rear, not sure what they do now, it's possible it could be a weak relay IF they changed it to 1 for each side.

OP
OP
John Day

John Day

Reaction score
who on the forum would know the location of door lock/unlock relay and the part number? I've been told each side of the vehicle has a relay that operates the door handle lock/unlock button. I went to my dealer here in Abilene and the parts desk couldn't tell me where it is located and what the part number is. I asked one of the moderators on this forum the same question and I got no reply. Thx. for any help.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same exact problem... mostly on the drivers door, though. I replaced the amplifier antenna and that fixed my issue. See Slupies post, above. $22 bucks from Rockauto and 20 minutes to replace.

lbenson

Reaction score
I had the same exact problem... mostly on the drivers door, though. I replaced the amplifier antenna and that fixed my issue. See Slupies post, above. $22 bucks from Rockauto and 20 minutes to replace.
I second that.. same issue here on my 18. Replaced the amplifier as well and fixed my issue. Could be more of drivers side issue as the amplifier is on the passenger side in the rear above the headliner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212