2019 Yukon Key Fob Range Blows...What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tenminutes

Reaction score
My new 2019 Yukon key fob range is terrible. Literally 1/3 the distance of my 2018 Sierra. Almost makes the remote start worthless. Both key fobs have the same issue. The truck came off the assembly line in April and I bought it new in early June so unless they use old batteries at the factory here in Texas it's got new batteries too.

First world problems...but do you think this is something the dealership is going to be annoying about correcting?

Shouldn't the Yukon Key Fob be similar distance to my truck???

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my 2019 Yukon Denali. However for me the issue is mainly with one of the FOB's. FOB 1 is crap and functions only when it feels like it. FOB 2 is OK, not great. I brought it to the dealer last week and of course they are not aware of any particular issues with the 2019's. The dealer replaced FOB 1 and now it works almost as well as FOB 2. I hard a rumor that GM was having quality control issues with a vendor supplied receiver for the access system. I mentioned this to the dealer as well and you know the answer...

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my 2019 Yukon Denali. However for me the issue is mainly with one of the FOB's. FOB 1 is crap and functions only when it feels like it. FOB 2 is OK, not great. I brought it to the dealer last week and of course they are not aware of any particular issues with the 2019's. The dealer replaced FOB 1 and now it works almost as well as FOB 2. I hard a rumor that GM was having quality control issues with a vendor supplied receiver for the access system. I mentioned this to the dealer as well and you know the answer...
Good news! Trip 1 to the dealer resulted in lip service and a reprogramming of my key fobs. However on trip 2, the dealer really dug in and after two days of trouble-shooting found that the grounding strap from the left cylinder head to the firewall was quite loose. After making it nice and tight, all of my problems appear to have been fixed! That was easy - NOT.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Tahoe key fob range sucks as well. Can’t start it from my office window with the car right below, but yet both my Kia I had previously I was able to start with that key fob. I would expect a more expensive vehicle to have a better key fob. What gives. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickfire20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any more info on the range of the fobs?

Use to have a 2016 Blk LTZ...could start that thing a 1000 ft away inside a store or restaurant (and it had the free onstar app sevice)

Now have a 2019 Premiere RST, fob barely works one hundred ft away, and now have to pay $10 a month for the app service

What the actual F man!

Nickfire20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE...

Went to dealer today, told them I Needed the antenna Replaced due to low key fob range, they checked it out....3 HOURS LATER!!!! And a filthy vehicle, they told me I was right, but they need to order it, then expect 5 hours install time, because they need to take the entire headliner down. Sure what could go wrong!

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE...

Went to dealer today, told them I Needed the antenna Replaced due to low key fob range, they checked it out....3 HOURS LATER!!!! And a filthy vehicle, they told me I was right, but they need to order it, then expect 5 hours install time, because they need to take the entire headliner down. Sure what could go wrong!
No need to take entire headliner down. I changed mine myself in 20 min. It’s 20 dollar part. Just need to take some side panels off to lower the back corner of headliner. If you have a burn or xl I think just the back pillar panel needs to come off given there is more play in the headliner.

e22b4b8c5f1e2aabb482cfb8c8e04fb3.jpg
a152bbaed640762273b48b702210fec4.jpg
56baa9f9b70782c7bb5a92b1f895197f.jpg
68f9481047f56981eeefc6f069d16050.jpg
92d6ccca41ba1285927fde6656449d59.jpg

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice check you out!

Thanks for the info!

How does the new one work?
Perfect. There was another member as well who changed his himself and his works fine. Now let’s see how long it lasts. Mine is still under warranty but the hassle of going to the dealer and them screwing up something is not worth the headache IMO. Tell them the entire liner doesn’t need to come down. They will get it filthy and it will never go back the same. That’s why I wanted to do my own. Rockauto stocks the part for future reference.

Nickfire20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you, thanks a million!

How far away is it working now? My 2016 Tahoe would go like a thousand feet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champion313