Door alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears my driver door to rear passenger door is misaligned / bent. The radius along the window frame starts to tuck into pillar.

Any idea on how to bend that back out?

Video of problem here:
121edd95d370cca84013e976f39d177e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this happen on its own or something hit it? I didn’t catch your year model? Is there a corresponding gap on the bottom that sits inward along that same line? Unless it was hit adjustments to the hinges is in order but no bending

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its just the top corner new door seals might tweek the top corner out just a little. wasn't my intention on my 2000 civic but it worked really well on that.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying it happened but here is what I have seen.
Someone locks their keys in the car.
Lock Smith uses air bags to spread the top of the door to insert a probe to unlock.
That bends the door so you get wind whistle.
One way or another a 2x4 gets inserted in the door to try to bend it back.
And they go to far.

That is the front drivers door right? That is the most common one air bags are used on.
They are wedge type deals. They pry the top door frame enough to insert them.
Pump them to much and it bends the door frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this happen on its own or something hit it? I didn’t catch your year model? Is there a corresponding gap on the bottom that sits inward along that same line? Unless it was hit adjustments to the hinges is in order but no bending
I woundered thr same. I rebuilt the hindges, but couldnt see how to adjust them. The bottom does pusj out a tad as mentioned. How do you adjust the hindges?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matthew mentioned this is a project truck..... I wonder if the new/ replaced (?) door weatherstrip is firmer than OEM?
I have a newer strip I snagged at salvage yard and reconditioned. I might try it but bit worried it might wreck the new strip?

Looking closer at hindges, I think they are in alignment. Just top of door is displace, bottom is just displaced by a tiny amount if any.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you use small washers or shims at the hinge bolts? What you want is for the bottom to come out toward the side of the rig not toward the back. Think of it like a teeter-totter rocking from bottom to top. The pivot point needs to be higher at the bottom.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you use small washers or shims at the hinge bolts? What you want is for the bottom to come out toward the side of the rig not toward the back. Think of it like a teeter-totter rocking from bottom to top. The pivot point needs to be higher at the bottom.

You could try the washer idea, but it seems to me, due to the curve of the body & curve of the door, the geometry may not work.

I'd talk to a GM body shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC