Door ajar problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Yukon xl 1500 SLT

My latest problem is my dash is reading that my passenger rear door isn’t shut and it keeps my dome lights on and runs my battery down.

I just replaced the door switch and that didn’t work so I messed with my striker to try and get a better shut and that didn’t work.

Is there something else that I could mess with before I take it to the mechanic and let them play with it?

Electrical issues??

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Yukon xl 1500 SLT

My latest problem is my dash is reading that my passenger rear door isn’t shut and it keeps my dome lights on and runs my battery down.

I just replaced the door switch and that didn’t work so I messed with my striker to try and get a better shut and that didn’t work.

Is there something else that I could mess with before I take it to the mechanic and let them play with it?

Electrical issues??
Did you figure it out?

I had the same issue on a 2005 Ford Escape I'd sold to my Mom. It was pretty clean and low mileage. It had a battery drain and intermittent alarm trigger in the middle of the night. Looking around the Internet I found it was the passenger side, rear door switch. Reviews said replacements didn't last long, so I got the approval from my Mom to bypass it. It's been fine since.

In your case you probably have an open wire somewhere. Probably need a wiring diagram to test wiring harness integrity.

jhilario72

Reaction score
I have read that it could also be the Body Control Module. For your dome lights just turn on the dome light bypass (so they'll always staff off). Dome lights will still turn on when locking/unlocking for a brief period of time.

OP
OP
B

Brad111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you figure it out?

I had the same issue on a 2005 Ford Escape I'd sold to my Mom. It was pretty clean and low mileage. It had a battery drain and intermittent alarm trigger in the middle of the night. Looking around the Internet I found it was the passenger side, rear door switch. Reviews said replacements didn't last long, so I got the approval from my Mom to bypass it. It's been fine since.

In your case you probably have an open wire somewhere. Probably need a wiring diagram to test wiring harness integrity.
I took it to the dealership and they say it’s the BCM (Body Control Module), apparently they are about as rare as hens teeth and the one they ordered was 1 of 2 in the US and it did not respond to their programming

So they recommended another shop and I guess I’m gonna give them a try.

So long story short, still dealing with it…

OP
OP
B

Brad111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have read that it could also be the Body Control Module. For your dome lights just turn on the dome light bypass (so they'll always staff off). Dome lights will still turn on when locking/unlocking for a brief period of time.
I took it to the dealership and they say it’s the BCM (Body Control Module), apparently they are about as rare as hens teeth and the one they ordered was 1 of 2 in the US and it did not respond to their programming

So they recommended another shop and I guess I’m gonna give them a try.

So long story short, still dealing with it…

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same problem on the Drivers door on my 2001. Turned out to be the Drivers door latch/lock actuator assembly. I was able to clean it really good with a liberal amount of WD40 and that bought me some time. I got another 6-8 months out of it before it started acting up again. But the WD40 didn't work the second time, I ended up replacing the latch assembly with one I found in the local junkyard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog