Don't do what I did! Ruined my shiny rims, then fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had a car wash lesson I thought would make a decent post. Watch out for the wheel cleaner at the car wash, it may be hazardous to your wheel’s health.

I just bought this 2004 Tahoe, so wanted to wash it to take home to wax. Figured I would get the super-duper wash that included wheel cleaning – WHAT A MISTAKE!

My shiny wheels were not shiny any more. They looked etched and had big drip marks on them where the cleaner was sprayed and ran down. I was pissed at myself for not knowing what could happen.

IMGP0470.jpg

IMGP0471.jpg

IMGP0472.jpg

We got home and the internet search was on to find how to fix the problem – found some articles and some discouraging comments. I spoke to a wheel shop and was told they wanted $125.00 for a refinish. I didn’t want to do that – too rich for my blood.

I ran across an article

http://store.carcareonline.com/repairthefinishonwheels.aspx

“How to repair the finish on wheels that have been damaged by improper cleaning” and bought the products suggested by the article – 3M imperial hand glaze and P21 multi finish restorer polish.

When I got the stuff, I tried it by hand and made some progress, but after rubbing and rubbing on one spot for 15-20 minutes, decided to go to Harbor Freight and get buffer wheel attachments for my drill motor – this worked out quite well.

IMGP0476.jpg

It still took me a while and they’re not perfect as if they were new, but I’m happy with the shine I was able to get back and don’t feel like such an idiot for messing them up in the first place! If anyone has wheel problems similar to mine, I advise you to check out this article and try what they say – it worked for me!!

IMGP0478.jpg

IMGP0479.jpg

IMGP0481.jpg

Hope this might either help someone fix their screw up or keep from doing it at all!!

:happy160:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crazy.. glad you got it fixed

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I avoid car washes like the plague.

People who spend so much money on their truck and go to a car wash are silly imo.

I use the words silly in lieu of something else. Lol

boozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That suck, glad it's fixed now. More elbow grease than you wanted but got good results.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is it!!

I avoid car washes like the plague.

People who spend so much money on their truck and go to a car wash are silly imo.

I use the words silly in lieu of something else. Lol

Like................ goofy..... Strange........ Odd?

Sent using Taptalk

Perhaps you mean uninformed as to potential damage caused by certain wheel cleaners?? :peace:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just kidding guys.

Thats a very nice save on the wheels.

They look great now. :)

Still need 22s though. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member