Dome light question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado3521

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i had to comment because i thought it was funny that i was trying to find a way to stop my 2 maps lights from coming on with the door in my 2005 hoe and here i find you with the opposite problem

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours would be an easy problem, all you have to do is drop the console down, find the wire and snip it!! Problem solved!! I never liked the fact that the front was quite a bit darker than the back section of the truck at night so this was a good thing for me!! ha ha ha!!

silverado3521

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i hope it is that easy but the catch is i still want them to be able to be turned on manually just not the switch. I am doing it because i have some cool pure white lights in the back and the map lights do not look right when the others light up

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be easy, I would think there would be a separate wire for each the switch and the courtesy light circuit, not sure since I haven't seen the setup on the newer than '02's!! When you drop the map light console down, take a pic and post it up, I bet I could help ya out!!
Another fix would be to get some matching cool white colored map lights and keep everything the way it is!!

silverado3521

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea I figured it should be a pretty easy fix and the pure white bulbs I am have are blue in color and I have not been able to find any more of. I got these from a closeout sale at a stereo shop I used to frequent bake in my military days in NC and also glad you got everything worked out with yours.

seantopps

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you do not have a DVD player built in then it will be a little different, at least it was for me. The front map lights you will need the two diodes as stated earlier, but the way you need to trigger it will be different. There are three wires feeding into the back seat overhead lamp.

Black- ground
Orange- 12v constant
White- trigger wire

The white wire is the trigger wire but it is a little backwards. The trigger wire has a 12v supply when the lights are off and when the lights are on it discontinues the power. So if you tap straight into the wire to the front map lights it will do the exact opposite that you want. When the doors open the lights will be off and when the doors close the lights will come on. So to change the wire to make it where the map lights will come on with the rest of them you will need to wire in a relay. The picture below will show how to wire the relay.

86 & 30 (fused 12V+)- tap into orange constant wire
85 (trigger)- tap into white trigger wire
87 (12V+ output)- wire to the two diodes that is connected to the map lights

I did not find anything on how to wire the map lights for a 2000-2002 so I just used my multimeter, read a little, and figured it out. Maybe it is too much work just to make them work but it was well worth it. With my LEDs it lights but the whole front of the cab. Hope this helps somebody.

References: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html

neg2pos.gif

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not have a DVD player built in then it will be a little different, at least it was for me. The front map lights you will need the two diodes as stated earlier, but the way you need to trigger it will be different. There are three wires feeding into the back seat overhead lamp.

Black- ground
Orange- 12v constant
White- trigger wire

The white wire is the trigger wire but it is a little backwards. The trigger wire has a 12v supply when the lights are off and when the lights are on it discontinues the power. So if you tap straight into the wire to the front map lights it will do the exact opposite that you want. When the doors open the lights will be off and when the doors close the lights will come on. So to change the wire to make it where the map lights will come on with the rest of them you will need to wire in a relay. The picture below will show how to wire the relay.

86 & 30 (fused 12V+)- tap into orange constant wire
85 (trigger)- tap into white trigger wire
87 (12V+ output)- wire to the two diodes that is connected to the map lights

I did not find anything on how to wire the map lights for a 2000-2002 so I just used my multimeter, read a little, and figured it out. Maybe it is too much work just to make them work but it was well worth it. With my LEDs it lights but the whole front of the cab. Hope this helps somebody.

References: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html

I messaged you with something to check in your truck Sean!

Gatorlac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just wire from the other lights right next to them instead of thru the DVD player?

OP
OP
Rivieraracing

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just wire from the other lights right next to them instead of thru the DVD player?

If you are referring to me, the DVD player was the closest to the map lights and had the wire I was after! Yes, there are other sources to tap from but this was the easiest for my application!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE