Does hot transmission smell like rubber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldskier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon xl slt and am currently in the black hills of SD. When driving up the long hill to get to the ski resort I notice a kind of rubber smell when we get to the top. I looked under the truck and saw no sign of anything rubbing on the tires. Is this the transmission getting too hot? How hot is too hot for the transmission, I can pull up the trans temp on my dash and it has not given me any warnings or anything. I don’t plan on driving back up the mountain only down when we leave on Saturday. Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon xl slt and am currently in the black hills of SD. When driving up the long hill to get to the ski resort I notice a kind of rubber smell when we get to the top. I looked under the truck and saw no sign of anything rubbing on the tires. Is this the transmission getting too hot? How hot is too hot for the transmission, I can pull up the trans temp on my dash and it has not given me any warnings or anything. I don’t plan on driving back up the mountain only down when we leave on Saturday. Thanks
An oil leak hitting the exhaust Y will smell like burning rubber too so I'd check for leaks around the oil cooler manifold/block-off plate above the oil filter. You can monitor your transmission temp in the DIC. Just keep hitting the checkmark button until it shows up. Too hot for the transmission is 265ºF but in general you should try to keep it under 235ºF.

OP
OP
O

oldskier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it was an oil leak wouldn’t I smell it all the time and not just after climbing a hill. And my trans temp never got above 150. Going to drive it home on Saturday, 600 miles. When I get gas I’ll check if I smell it while we are out on flat land?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going up this hill and maybe heavily loaded you were probably in a lower gear than normal for a good while. Could be just normal heating of parts that usually don't see that condition? A good visual inspection might show something but I doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts