DOD/AFM Delete Valve questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes no sense. I bought mine through LSXceleration and they specifically state they're for gen IV/V engines. They have a similar profile as well, which as you can see also has a stop collar at the top and is the reason why I felt sketchy about pounding them in. I was afraid it would either get stuck not fully flush with the top of the tower, or potentially even crack the the tower. Given that the flat valley pan's sealing o-rings for the tower were designed to fit flush, I was concerned that any relief above the tower would cause a clearance issue with the raised o-ring lands on the valley pan. Or, that if I used a hammer to drive them in, I would potentially damage the tops of the towers.

Honestly, the safe answer is to either do what @iamdub did and find some threaded Allen set screws that fit, or just let the new valley pan's o-rings seal the towers as they're designed to do. I don't think you'll have any problems with sealing if you go that route. It's what GM designed that valley pan for in the engines that have the AFM towers but don't have AFM, like the L92.

View attachment 346589

Or, if you don't wanna drill and tap (engine staying in the bay, etc.), use the rollers out of an A37 wheel bearing.

OP
OP
D

Darren2014

Reaction score
I ended up just sticking with the valley cover and that will hopefully keep it sealed up fine. So far I have the timing set in as well as the oil pump and the pan on and wrapped up with putting the timing cover on. Lifters and heads are next on the chopping block. The hardest part of the day was mounting the cam phaser to the cam. Getting it to line up was a pain in the butt but I finally felt the cam pull in at the very end of running the cam bolt in and it’s all good now. I’m still planning on turning the engine over a couple times by hand before starting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645