Do you know where to get this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This part is no longer available for the 2007-2014 GMT900 SUVs. It is the rear hood weatherstrip, part number was 15200240.

Some places offer weatherstrip by the foot, but I do not know how to look this one up.

The rigid base measured 3/4 of an inch wide and it of course has shrunk over the years, it is supposed to be just shy of 60 inches.

So, do you happen to know what this kind of weatherstrip is called or where we can find it?

20220814_080324.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This part is no longer available for the 2007-2014 GMT900 SUVs. It is the rear hood weatherstrip, part number was 15200240.

Some places offer weatherstrip by the foot, but I do not know how to look this one up.

The rigid base measured 3/4 of an inch wide and it of course has shrunk over the years, it is supposed to be just shy of 60 inches.

So, do you happen to know what this kind of weatherstrip is called or where we can find it?

View attachment 377931

I have a couple hours invested of off and on search for this. I've probably tried every keyword in the book. Of course, "D-shape" is the most specific. I've searched "hood seal", "seal", "weatherseal", "weather seal", "weatherstrip", "weather strip", "D bulb seal" and a plethora of other words and their combinations.

As you know, I found one from a newer model that had not shrunk as much, so I just replaced it with that and centered it. My original plan was to cut my original and the newer one slightly longer than half each and join them in the middle. To make them one, I was thinking of puling a length of synthetic rope through both pieces- one that filled the bulb pretty well and supported it. I'd leave a small gap where they met in the middle and liberally apply black silicone caulk all around the rope. Then, with the rope held taught, slide the two pieces together, smear the excess caulk cleanly and tape them so their adjoining edges adhered flush with each other. Then, cut the rope flush with the seal on each open end and maybe squirt a little more caulk in the open ends to seal that so the rope didn't soak up water over time. The idea is to take advantage of the aged "pre-shrunk" pieces so it doesn't happen again for really long time, if ever, while also building up and reinforcing the bulb to refresh it, giving a better-than-new seal.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have seen this bulb seal available at places like Home Depot, Grainger, Lowes....etc. It looks like the same bulb seal design I used to have to order for the bottom of roll up unit doors at the self storage facility I worked at. Might be able to also get at door companies.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this bulb seal available at places like Home Depot, Grainger, Lowes....etc. It looks like the same bulb seal design I used to have to order for the bottom of roll up unit doors at the self storage facility I worked at. Might be able to also get at door companies.

In door speak, that's called an "astragal". Some doors have that type (D-seal with T-flange) at the bottom, but I can't say I've ever seen one with a small enough bulb to be a viable option here. They're usually gray, too. I've hung hundreds of them mini storage roll-up doors but never had a reason to measure the astragal's flange width, but I recall them being narrow- much less than 3/4" wide. They're also a flimsy rubber. But, with rope or vacuum hose, it could be reinforced. So, maybe it could be made to work. Now I'm prompted to research this...

I was tempted to just get a generic D-seal of the correct size (flange or no flange) and mount it with 3M VHB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple hours invested of off and on search for this. I've probably tried every keyword in the book. Of course, "D-shape" is the most specific. I've searched "hood seal", "seal", "weatherseal", "weather seal", "weatherstrip", "weather strip", "D bulb seal" and a plethora of other words and their combinations.
Building on what you wrote here, I believe it's called a T-Slot Bulb Seal. Now to get the other nomenclature, materials and sizing right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE