How do I fix this?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmmckishen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_5422.jpegIMG_5419.jpegI recently purchased a 2001 Tahoe LT from someone who put in a pioneer touch screen radio and connected it to some rather large speakers and amps in the back seat. He knock off a chunk of change and removed the speakers but left me with a mess of wires that I know nothing about. Radio turns on and works but no sound comes out of the car speakers. I pulled out the radio and opened the door panels and this is what I’m seeing. can anyone give me some information on how to reconnect the radio to the car? The guy is ignoring me and won’t tell me what he did after he offered to hook it back up!! Yes the factory amp is still under the dash. TIA

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is no magic. If you have a radio, an amplifier and speakers. You need a wiring plan and than you must identify the relating wires, like permanet plus, ingnition plus, interior light, antenna, plus to switch on amplifier and so on.

If you have no idea, about car audio, electric and wiring plans, find someone who has an idea of that topic...

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oof....what a spaghetti mess. There is a reason I always pass over vehicles with aftermarket stereo, amps, speakers, etc when I see them in a picture if I'm shopping for a used one. This......is not a fun project.

My guess is you can Google the radio tag for a wiring diagram and install instructions. That might help narrow down which wires could be the culprit. Hopefully the idiot who sold it didn't just do a haircut job and leave some bare wires, or crossed wires that are causing a fuse to blow, etc. Best of luck

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 424170View attachment 424171I recently purchased a 2001 Tahoe LT from someone who put in a pioneer touch screen radio and connected it to some rather large speakers and amps in the back seat. He knock off a chunk of change and removed the speakers but left me with a mess of wires that I know nothing about. Radio turns on and works but no sound comes out of the car speakers. I pulled out the radio and opened the door panels and this is what I’m seeing. can anyone give me some information on how to reconnect the radio to the car? The guy is ignoring me and won’t tell me what he did after he offered to hook it back up!! Yes the factory amp is still under the dash. TIA
If you want to skip the headache, a reputable stereo shop wouldn't charge a lot to fix it. And if you were buying an aftermarket stereo they might throw in the fix with the price of radio installation.

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a Sony touch screen head unit last year and it was initially daunting. After removing the aftermarket Pioneer CD/Radio I confirmed that the factory audio connections were still present and then purchased a PAC interface to connect the new head unit to the '04 Tahoe's wiring with Bose and factory amp, including steering wheel controls. I mention this if it's advantageous to undo the rats nest in your photo and start fresh provided your setup hasn't been altered from the Tahoe's wire harness side.

In my photo with yellow background, to the left of the PAC interface are connections to the radio. Connections were made by matching head unit's wire color to PAC wire color. To the right are the plug-in connections to the factory audio already configured. The wires bypassing the PAC are power, ground, switched power and possibly* video for backup camera were made per instructions. (*the memory is a tad fuzzy.) To turn on the Bose amp, connecting the pink wire to a blue wire provided power.

The second photo I grabbed from a TWA motorsport video showing what color wires powered speakers and enhanced head unit functions. I think he was installing a Pioneer unit and also had a Bose system with amp. I didn't need the schematic after diving in with the PAC unit but it may help identify what you're looking at.

*edit: I found an additional photo showing the two factory connections (both slightly cropped at bottom) and the antenna. Should you not be able to locate those two connectors and start fresh I'd do as a poster above suggested and hit up a stereo install shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4831.jpg
    IMG_4831.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.25.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.25.42 PM.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 3
  • factory connections.JPG
    factory connections.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Forum statistics