Do GM dealers have a IT/Tech person on staff full time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that mechanics are full time techs. Many would be unable to diagnose and issue without a scanner and a laptop. They're definitely labeled as technicians instead of mechanics nowadays.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that mechanics are full time techs. Many would be unable to diagnose and issue without a scanner and a laptop. They're definitely labeled as technicians instead of mechanics nowadays.
could be the case, lol but I think a lot of it is "procedural" meaning they have to document everything along the way to cover there behind especially at a dealership and warranty work. Also note that many "customer" modifications can prevent them from doing a proper diagnosis, doesn't necessarily void the warranty, just take it off or out before leaving it for warranty work GM is pretty strict on that kind of stuff because it doesn't fit in the diagnostic tree.

thegrunter

Reaction score
If you saw the Alex Murdaugh ****** trial, you would have saw the FBI had to reverse engineer the infotainment system because GM wouldn't help the FBI with the their Big Brother tools to find out when and where the 2021 Suburban was during the murders. So, in that case, GM didn't offer IT support. OnStar helped with GPS, but the FBI wanted to know when the Suburban was in park or in drive when the car wasn't moving. They also wanted to know when the key fob was communicating with a parked Suburban.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the case, lol but I think a lot of it is "procedural" meaning they have to document everything along the way to cover there behind especially at a dealership and warranty work. Also note that many "customer" modifications can prevent them from doing a proper diagnosis, doesn't necessarily void the warranty, just take it off or out before leaving it for warranty work GM is pretty strict on that kind of stuff because it doesn't fit in the diagnostic tree.
Even my independent shop hooks up the scanner and laptop when working on my 2015. Technician is applicable as the advancement of the science. EV's will cement the title imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401