DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
well i have a k&n drop in too, but ya im noticing a big difference, i really can not describe how shocked i was when i went for my first test drive i punched it and it sounded throatier and had so much more go when i need it, plus when i need it at around the 65m/hr range it was lagging before now she has jam i absolutely love it, and no it will not screw anything up at all in fact it isnt even perminent if you dont like it you can screw something solid over the cut out in the airbox and its done. but trust me you will love it, i did notice it was idling higher for about 80km but i think the computer has adjusted for it now

my kon and your hoe are like twins except i havent derailed completely or demolded but same colour and rims, so what im trying to say is you have great taste haha

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this mod will absolutely set off a K&N drop in!

That's what I'm gonna do!

OP
OP
ypsetihw

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cleaning the MAF is super easy . . . just take the band clamps off and unhook the harness. just look at it, usually if you touch the screen you'll see a big smudge of crap come off on your finger . . . that's when you know its time to clean it.

go get yourself some CRC MAF cleaner for like $7 at your auto store, spray the crap out of it, it dries instantly. put it back on and voila!

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

would this mess up the hoe or kon at all ? are you seeing big gains highrollin? i might want to do this but needs some answers first

totally safe for basically any car as long as you only cut up the DIRTY side of the box. not gonna see big gains on the dyno, but you will see some throttle response and it won't bog as much on the highway. plus you'll get a little more sound out of it. you'll see the most out of it if you use a k&n drop-in at the same time.

highrollin113 - love the mesh screen and vent to the fender well! good thinking!

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
highrolln if u put the screen on the bottom of the box..

can u put the box back in without the bottom plate?

or does that box mount to the plate?

just a idea

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Clean I'm pretty sure you need that bottom plate to attach the stock air box. It's got 2 holes where the box "snaps" in.

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
the screen is on the bottom of the air box and well it does mount to the plate, but because i couldnt cut through the plate with a cutting disc on my grinder i asked my neighbour (a welder) to cut with a torch, so that took a day so i did drive for a day with the airbox just loose and it was fine its so tight in there that its not going to go anywhere so you could probably get away with it if you dont mind it flopping around in there a bit, i never heard it rattling around either but i would recommend mounting it properly

Last edited:

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
yp and highrollin, awesome info. Doing this next weekend. I have a K@N drop in as well and cant wait to see if it picks up better. I bet if you use a dremel or something and smooth out around the cut edges, it will flow that much better. A small scale port and polish type thing.

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just did this a couple of hours ago since i finally found my damn drill in moms garage lol... just a reg filter but i did hear and feel an improvement..... i didnt do the large holes but i honeycombed the hell out of the dirty side with a 9/16 bit....

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
so i am thinking about getting a larger diameter pvc pipe than the hole and angling it and fastening it to run from the hole in the steel down and having the bottom angled so it will force air up, soes anyone think this will help? also there is a gap between the plate and the airbox so i would seal that somehow too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable